Locking KDE "freezes" KDE

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Locking KDE "freezes" KDE

Postby Judge » Mon May 13, 2013 20:18

Hi everyone!

I just did a fresh Sabayon installation (13.04 , KDE , amd64). Everything pretty basic; nothing special selected or configured.
I'm working with a default user (not root!); the only thing is that it's a member of privileged groups like "wheel" and so on. This User was created with the anaconda dialogue.

When I am locking KDE ("K-Button/Penguin-Foot-Button" -> "Leave" -> "Lock"), it doesn't do a thing anymore. Neither the screen gets blanked, nor is there an unlock-dialogue when a key is pressed or the mouse is moved (the cursor moves), nor can I click anything. The System itself doesn't freeze; when switched to a TTY ("Ctrl+Alt+F1" for example), I can login and restart xdm. Then everything is working again; but since all running applications are terminated by that, this doesn't seem like a very good solution at all, does it?

Does anybody have an idea?

PS: I have the same effect with two independed setups now: One I installed inside a VM on my Laptop and the other one is installed "natively" (no emu) on my workstation.
Judge
Baby Hen

Re: Locking KDE "freezes" KDE

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Tue May 14, 2013 20:34

Hm, I see many unconfirmed bug reports on kde.org - is your problem among them?
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Postby j_rod_s » Wed May 15, 2013 4:13

I'm also having the same problem as Judge with the lock screen not prompting a screen for a password. Looking through the bug reports, I didn't see a report with the same bug that's happening to Judge and myself.

Sabayon 13.04, KDE, amd64
Sabayon Machine :
Asus Vivobook x202e :: Intel i3-3217U 1.8GHz :: Intel 4000HD :: Sabayon-Weekly :: KDE 4.10
j_rod_s
Baby Hen

Postby Judge » Wed May 15, 2013 8:53

Ryuno-Ki wrote:Hm, I see many unconfirmed bug reports on kde.org - is your problem among them?

... wow, that's a lot of bugs. I really do not want to be conceited, but I won't read that bugs for two reasons:
First: After I read the first few, I have to admit that I understand too little of the technical details to decide if that what's written there is the same like what I face right now.
Second: I have two Gentoo Desktops besides the new Sabayon one. These packages are in the same way as recent as the Sabayon ones and I do not face the issue there. That makes me believe it's Sabayon specific.
Judge
Baby Hen

Postby uhmzilighase » Sun May 26, 2013 14:20

I've seen what seems to be a related issue where KDE locks the desktop but does not show the unlock window. The cursor us still alive but the rest of the desktop is inaccessible. When this happens you may get to a virtual terminal if you're fast enough but xdm cannot be restarted and only a reboot will help.

While this is not a proper fix it does make the issue go away
Code: Select all
su
cd
mv /usr/lib64/kde4/libexec/kscreenlocker_greet ./

Of course then you cannot lock the screen at all.
uhmzilighase
Baby Hen

Postby Darksurf » Tue Jul 02, 2013 16:40

I found the issue with KDE and screenlocker. I've been googling this issue for months. I then found someone say they weren't having an issue as long as they use the original Oxygen theme. I tested it and it worked! So its a theming issue. I found that the issue can be fixed by adding an exception in the theme for 'kscreenlocker_greet'.

So for qtcurve:
Systemsettings>Application Appearance> Style > Configure > Applications >
change a value in "No Background Opacity" from 'kscreenlocker' to 'kscreenlocker_greet'.

for other themes:
Systemsettings>Application Appearance> Style > Configure > Exceptions
add 'kscreenlocker_greet' to exceptions.

Enjoy having a lockscreen again!
~ Y </0 5+Up1</ P30p[Ez +Ry 2 R34</ D1s? ~
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby chris2kari » Wed Jul 10, 2013 13:17

Darksurf wrote:I found the issue with KDE and screenlocker. I've been googling this issue for months. I then found someone say they weren't having an issue as long as they use the original Oxygen theme. I tested it and it worked! So its a theming issue. I found that the issue can be fixed by adding an exception in the theme for 'kscreenlocker_greet'.

So for qtcurve:
Systemsettings>Application Appearance> Style > Configure > Applications >
change a value in "No Background Opacity" from 'kscreenlocker' to 'kscreenlocker_greet'.

for other themes:
Systemsettings>Application Appearance> Style > Configure > Exceptions
add 'kscreenlocker_greet' to exceptions.

Enjoy having a lockscreen again!

I have this same bug with Sabayon 13.04, KDE, amd64.
I don't see "Applications" under System Settings>Application Appearance> Style > Configure >.
Does not exist..

Chris
chris2kari
Baby Hen

Postby heindsight » Wed Jul 10, 2013 13:28

Hi,

I experienced the same kscreenlocker problem even with the Oxygen theme. I also can't find an option/tab/whatever for Exceptions in Systemsettings>Application Appearance> Style > Configure, regardless of what theme I select (I don't have qtcurve installed).

Looking at my ~/.xsession-errors though, I find messages from kscreenlocker_greet complaining about greeter plugins that don't exist. Some googling turned up these bug reports which indicate that the problem is that kscreenlocker won't work without greeter plugins which are packaged with kdm: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=314901 and http://bugs.sabayon.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4235 .

I installed KDM:
Code: Select all
equo install kdm
and that solved the problem. I can now lock and unlock the screen! :-)
heindsight
Baby Hen

Re: Locking KDE "freezes" KDE [SOLVED]

Postby chris2kari » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:01

Ah! Thank you!
I needed to reinstall with a later ISO to resolve Intel graphics not configured properly. I confirm kdm is now included in 13.07 daily 10th July.

Chris
chris2kari
Baby Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers