Unable to logout/reboot/shutdown

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Unable to logout/reboot/shutdown

Postby deadDrift » Thu Mar 14, 2013 20:05

I'm up to date SL11, kernel 3.7, KDE 4.10.1, amd64. I've just run the weekly upgrade and now I can not logout, reboot, or shutdown using the KDE menu. The equo upgrade I just ran ends with the same package removal message as in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=29372 . I get the same dependency issue where it wants to undo most of the KDE 4.10.1 that was just loaded.

I've run:
equo libtest - no issues found
equo deptest - got messsage below:

mybox myuser # equo deptest
>> @@ Running dependency test...
>> @@ These are the dependencies not found:
>> # >=app-admin/eselect-boost-0.3
>> # Needed by:
>> # dev-libs/boost-1.46.1-r1
>> @@ Installing available packages in 10 seconds ...
>> No packages found.
(1, False)

Also ran 'equo conf update' that had nothing to do. My /etc/conf.d/xdm file has: DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm" So I'm not sure what else to check at this point. Any ideas?
Be in perfect sync with the raging river and one will catch its prey
deadDrift
Young Hen

Re: Unable to logout/reboot/shutdown

Postby cl00t » Thu Mar 14, 2013 20:44

When I did the update on Sunday using the weekly repo there were maybe 8 or so packages which it said to manually remove. As normal I removed them as follows:

Code: Select all
#equo remove package1 package2 package3 --nodeps --configfiles --ask

Normally when updating kde or running a huge update like that I tend to do conf update / deptest / libtest then just do

#reboot

dev-libs/boost-1.52.0-r5 is the version I have here which went into the weekly repo on 26/01. Are you sure dev-libs/boost-1.46.1-r1 wasn't a package recommended for removal after a previous upgrade?
cl00t
Growing Hen

Postby MALsPa » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:22

I had the problem with not being able to shutdown, logout, or reboot from the KDE menu as well, following the recent upgrade to KDE 4.10.1. I didn't know what else to do so I ran:

# shutdown -r now

I don't know if that was a good thing to do in this case, but since then, no problems shutting down, logging out, or rebooting from the KDE menu.
MALsPa
Young Hen

Postby deadDrift » Sat Mar 16, 2013 0:37

cl00t -

Thanks for the reply. I've had a building list of orphaned packages to remove manually but was reluctant to delete them. But I have now done that using your 'equo remove' suggestion. I can now logout/reboot/shutdown via the KDE menu. Thanks.

My new/only lingering issue is my main panel now goes invisible when I open two or three applications at once. I use a centered, reduced length (about 1/3 the width) main panel. When the panel goes invisible, the only things that is visible are thin white bars at each end. Nothing on the panel can be highlighted by the curser. Notifications still display. If you minimize an application, you can't bring it back up. Luckily, I have a pop-out side panel with a terminal button that allows me to reboot and fix the problem. If I expand the main panel to full width of the screen, it never goes invisible no matter how many applications I open. So I'm using a full width main panel now.
Be in perfect sync with the raging river and one will catch its prey
deadDrift
Young Hen

Postby cl00t » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:27

Hi, glad the main problem is solved. For the panel issue I don't know. Maybe check the KDE site to see if it is a known bug & if not, file a bug there and here just in case it is a sabayon issue. For now you could use the icon only task manager widget in the panel, you might not see thegproblem then.
cl00t
Growing Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers