How to add animated wallpapers in kde 4.10.1?

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

How to add animated wallpapers in kde 4.10.1?

Postby linuxfluesterer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 19:47

Hallo guys...
I hope, you're doing fine. Yes, I did it. I've installed Daily Build with date 10/03/2013 on my core i5 64bit system.
And, I'm rather content. The thing are fine, are smooth so far, as I have activated only Sabayon Weekly repo.
And now, I have two questions, especially to the KDE 4.10.1 users.
How to add animated wallpapers in KDE? I can choose only from three poor animated (gifs)?
I miss an 'Add button' at that location where to choose from the three pre installed animated wallpapers.
In Youtoube, I already saw, that it is possible to use different animated wallpapers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdHOJiTkcg0
I know, that's Kubuntu, but that's what KDE announced for release 4.10 at all.

Second is my wish, I would like to have shown a weather plasmoid or a clock plasmoid when my screen is locked. How can I realise that?
Thank you in advance.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Re: How to add animated wallpapers in kde 4.10.1?

Postby Matte88 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:08

:alien: Joining the thread: I'm interested too! :alien:
When I became the sun,
I shone life into the man's hearts.
Matte88
Technological Hen

Location: @/etc/entropy/repositories.conf.d/entropy_sabayon-limbo

Postby linuxfluesterer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:40

:mrgreen:
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 19:21

Sorry, my dear friend Sabayonino.
I'm conscious, where I can select the pre installed animated wallpapers.
But this was not my question...
I want to add new animated wallpapers, e.g. like you could see in youtube-video.
The three pre-installed are stone aged (I remember from DOS times).
Anyway, thank you for reply ...

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 14:40

Ciao, amico Sabayonino.
I have converted sample movie files to avi format.
That works great, thank you.
But then, I've been reading your instructions more closely, I read this:
The idea is to use mplayer to play a constantly looping, muted, fullscreen video and tell it to play on all desktops, underneath all apps, and not show up as a window in the taskbar, switcher, or pagers.

That is really not what I assumed is part of the new KDE 4.10.1.
I've found this:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/KDE-4-10-RC1-Features-Improved-Animated-Wallpapers-Download-Now-316181.shtml
Especially one sentence interests me...:
A new QtQuick-based wallpaper engine is now available and animated wallpapers are easier to create;

Your suggestions are concerning to KDE versions, and if I understand it not wrong, then ALL my Despktops were affected with the same animated Wallpaper. No, no, sorry, not what I expected when I read the news about KDE 4.10.1.
Maybe, we both really misunderstand... I do not want to use old plasmoids and technics to realise Animated Wallpapers.
I really want to use the KDE 4.10.1 build in feature.

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby Stupot » Fri Mar 15, 2013 15:42

If it really is a a brand new feature for KDE 4.10 (which is also my understanding), then maybe there just aren't very many anitmated wallpapers that have been made yet. I would search the kde website for information on how to make one. If you aren't up for the task, then you'll probably have to be patient.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 16:08

It seems, that I must be more patient.
Btw, I've tried 'Dreamdesktop'. After selecting a (wmv) stream, you can see, the movie starts but then KDE crashes :(.
Though there is a plasmoid for plasma-wallpaper-dreamdesktop, the origin seems to be Windows.
And launching an avi file instead of an wmi file freezes KDE at all.

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers