How to leave KDE activities?

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

How to leave KDE activities?

Postby itlarson » Sun Jan 20, 2013 21:25

How can I get back to my normal desktop after entering a KDE activity? I tried deleting all of them, but things still aren't right. I can't set separate wallpapers, despite the "separate widgets" box being checked, and there's a flash of that ugly grey "Ariya" wallpaper when I switch desktops.
itlarson
Baby Hen

Re: How to leave KDE activities?

Postby itlarson » Sun Jan 20, 2013 22:24

When I'm on an empty desktop ALT-TAB switches between the wallpaper I set, and the "Ariya" wallpaper. Opening an app causes ALT-TAB to work normaly.
itlarson
Baby Hen

Postby itlarson » Sun Jan 20, 2013 23:20

It's a kludge, but I fixed it like this:
-rename /home/itl/.kde4/share/apps/activitymanager and /home/itl/.kde4/share/config/activitymanagerrc
-log out and back in
-kill apps which are running, but not visible from the command line
-set wallpapers back to the way they were before all this started
-save the session, so invisible apps aren't started in the future

About the last item- I always check "restore manually saved session" in "system settings-> startup and shutdown-> session management". This was causing hidden apps to be started every time I logged in.

I have to say- although the concept of activities makes sense in theory, The implementation is difficult for me to understand. Maybee the pager could be modified to make getting to wherever the hidden apps are more intuitive. At the very least, there should be some button that restores things to the way they were.
itlarson
Baby Hen

Postby Ryuno-Ki » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:34

itlarson wrote:It's a kludge, but I fixed it like this:
-rename /home/itl/.kde4/share/apps/activitymanager and /home/itl/.kde4/share/config/activitymanagerrc

Note: This is your $HOME so "itl" may differ (it will be your username on your machine).

Personally, I don't use activities.
HP-Pavilion ◆ AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 4000+ ◆ GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 ◆ 1 GiB RAM
German Wiki translator ◆ Want to contribute on the wiki? Ask the Bureaucrats!
Please, mark solved threads ◆ Posts unread and unansweredPackage requests ◆ Sabayon XI with MATE
Ryuno-Ki
Technological Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers