The KDE thumbnails bug [Solved]

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

The KDE thumbnails bug [Solved]

Postby dunsurfin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:00

Clearing my thumbnail cache before a backup; I searched to see if there was a configuration point to limit the size of the cache as dolphin was freezing during the operation. I found this bug report https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=79943 that has been running for a long, long time. It's certainly worth a read as it seems the bug can cause major headaches to people without a large amount of space.

Has anyone found a good safe way to regularly clean the cache? I'm tempted by the startup script mentioned at the end but I've never done such a thing and am a little nervous about it - especially as it's not written for Sabayon.
Last edited by dunsurfin on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Re: The KDE thumbnails bug

Postby Thev00d00 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:41

Just do something like

Code: Select all
rm -rf /home/*/.thumbnails/*

once in a while if its an issue for you.

My thumbnails dir is 619MB, which is 0.00019% of my total disk space...
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Re: The KDE thumbnails bug

Postby dunsurfin » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:59

Thank you for that.
It is an issue for me because of the shear quantity of files involved when I'm doing a backup (a bit like kmail used to be and, perhaps, still is). At least your script will save me from further dolphin freezes.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers