Gnome 3.6

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

ElectricPrism
Young Hen

Re: Gnome 3.6

Post by ElectricPrism » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:55

Just so everyone knows, looks like as of yesterday January 9th, 2013 - Gnome 3.6.2 entered the limbo repository. Enable the repo if you feel adventerous. (who of us uses linux and is affraid of breakage? we'd all still be on windows right?)

I was going to uninstall Sabayon before rebooting my computer to Gnome 3.6, I really miss the ease of the Ubuntu Software Center with pictures, ratings, reviews, etc...

New Nautilus, Gnome-Shell, GDM are really nice, I finally have a "Power Off" button in the user menu. Notifications menu isn't hotkeyed to the bottom right of the screen and is now in the shell menu, the login screen problem not showing after resuming from the screensaver is fixed, etc... etc...

Enjoy 3.6 all :)

cmost
Advanced Hen

Post by cmost » Sat Jan 12, 2013 0:26

Personally, I think Gnome is getting worse with every release. The new Nautilus is not nice; it's dumbed down and missing many of its old features. As for the login and lock screens, it seems these are evidence that the Gnome devs are wasting time on superflous fluff that isn't important to productivity. Fortunately, Cinnamon and Nemo have the right idea and of course MATE is a godsend for those who wish to stick with a desktop that's simple, elegant and stays the hell out of your way while still receiving support.
AMD Phenom II 64 X6 1090T Black Edition
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 w 2048 MB DDR5
Sabayon 2014.x 64 Bit KDE
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln

Gordon
Simple Hen

Post by Gordon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 15:46

cmost wrote:Personally, I think Gnome is getting worse with every release. The new Nautilus is not nice; it's dumbed down and missing many of its old features. As for the login and lock screens, it seems these are evidence that the Gnome devs are wasting time on superflous fluff that isn't important to productivity. Fortunately, Cinnamon and Nemo have the right idea and of course MATE is a godsend for those who wish to stick with a desktop that's simple, elegant and stays the hell out of your way while still receiving support.
This is an issue

A big one - hence the large bold typing. I just updated two systems: one that I installed just recently and was running kernel 3.5. This one appears fine. The second is the machine that I normally use and was running kernel 3.4. This one is now broken.

The logon screen pulls a grey curtain over the full screen with the usernames barely visible. On the desktop the shortcuts have a white square rim around them. In the activities screen the Windows/Applications selector is gone and the `Type to search` bar has moved from the right to center. Worst of all is Nautilus which only shows the current dir contents (there's no opening of folders) and it doesn't group folders before files. I did notice that gnome-shell-extensions was not included in the updates and is in fact still listed at (the incompatible) version 3.4. What went wrong here?

Gordon
Simple Hen

Post by Gordon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 16:48

Skip that. It appears that the new system is actually not doing the right thing. It is Gnome and especially Nautilus that is f*cked up with version 3.6

nachoig
Simple Hen

Post by nachoig » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:35

cmost wrote:Personally, I think Gnome is getting worse with every release. The new Nautilus is not nice; it's dumbed down and missing many of its old features. As for the login and lock screens, it seems these are evidence that the Gnome devs are wasting time on superflous fluff that isn't important to productivity. Fortunately, Cinnamon and Nemo have the right idea and of course MATE is a godsend for those who wish to stick with a desktop that's simple, elegant and stays the hell out of your way while still receiving support.
Sorry MATE people, but GNOME 2 is dead. It would be better for everybody if we allow to it to rest in peace.

But I think Cinnamon is a good idea.

But if you don't like, try KDE, Xfce, LXDE, Razor-Qt, E17...
Gordon wrote: In the activities screen the Windows/Applications selector is gone and the `Type to search` bar has moved from the right to center.
No, the Windows/Application selector isn't gone. Now it's a button with 9 squares, located in the left side (togetger with the launchers).
Gordon wrote: Worst of all is Nautilus which only shows the current dir contents (there's no opening of folders) and it doesn't group folders before files.
I agree, Files (Nautilus) is a disaster.

To solve the the problem with the files before folders:

Click on the Files Menu -> Settings -> Check Folders Before Files.

Gordon wrote: I did notice that gnome-shell-extensions was not included in the updates and is in fact still listed at (the incompatible) version 3.4. What went wrong here?
Maybe changes in the libraries...

In my opinion, GNOME 3 is not designed for desktop or notebooks. It's designed for touchscreen devices. Testing it on a touchscreen device would be a good idea. If you don't believe GNOME 3 is designed for touchscreens devices, try to lock the screen using GDM. After this, try to unlock.

But for me, a desktop user, GNOME 3 is too terrible.

Gordon
Simple Hen

Post by Gordon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 16:54

A bit of luck here: other people disliked Natilus 3.6 as well and started a new project based on Nautilus 3.4. It's called Nemo and it's in the repo.

ph03
Young Hen

Post by ph03 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:39

I really don't want to use Gnome 3.6 until the extensions I use are ready. It seems like every release the whole environment is getting worse. I wanted to use cinnamon in the meantime, but equo wants to pull all gnome 3.6 updates as dependencies of cinnamon-1.6.7 . Is it possible to mask all gnome 3.6 stuff somehow?

Johnny Who
Simple Hen

Post by Johnny Who » Mon Jan 21, 2013 16:08

I have upgraded to 3.6 last night, but it crashed and I cannot login. I was trying to solve the issue with Ryuno-Ki on the irc last night, but withou results. Gnome 3.4 worked a breeze, but 3.6 works only in recovery mode. I am using mate right now, but I like Gnome 3 more. I have removed Gnome according to the wiki article and installed it again, with no results.

tek640
Young Hen

Post by tek640 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 18:41

Johnny Who wrote:I have upgraded to 3.6 last night, but it crashed and I cannot login. I was trying to solve the issue with Ryuno-Ki on the irc last night, but withou results. Gnome 3.4 worked a breeze, but 3.6 works only in recovery mode. I am using mate right now, but I like Gnome 3 more. I have removed Gnome according to the wiki article and installed it again, with no results.
I had the same problem with you and a few minutes earlier solved it. Try to remove the packages eselect-gnome-shell-extensions, gnome-shell-extensions and remove all extensions from the folder /home/username/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions. This worked for me, but just see that fonts in Rigo is messed up, also cannot change language with Alt+Shift. I am trying to setup shortcut keys but still cannot change language.

Johnny Who
Simple Hen

Post by Johnny Who » Tue Jan 22, 2013 15:14

Tried it but didn `t work for me... Could I downgrade to 3.4 by emerging from stable portage tree?