I don't like Kuroo

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

I don't like Kuroo

Postby AmpLiF1eR » Tue Dec 19, 2006 0:34

I don't like Kuroo that much...

Today I did an emerge --sync and an emerge portage and started it for the first time.
The only thing I have emerged since the last install of sabayon was mplayerplug-in (didn't use Kuroo, just the terminal) and I unmerged Mozilla-Firefox because I prefer the binary from Mozilla (but didn't use Kuroo for this, just the terminal)

Started the 'updated portage' for the first time, so it was his first run on this installation:

!!! Problem resolving dependencies for x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers<br>!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy ">=x11-libs/libdrm-2.2" have been masked.<br>!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:<br>Needs a new Murrina GTK Theme<br>!!! Depgraph creation failed.<br>

Getting tired of Kuroo, it always tells me about some problem, I think it's better to do : emerge --unmerge Kuroo ! :)

gr.
Amp
AmpLiF1eR
Old Dear Hen

Postby mdmarmer » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:32

Main use of kuroo is to make it easier to search for packages -- konsole works better for nearly all uses

Mike
mdmarmer
Advanced Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:38

one of the first things to do on a fresh install

# emerge -C kuroo

FTW!!!!

use emerge and SL world will be great
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby AmpLiF1eR » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:32

I believe so, not had problems at all while refreshing portage with the Konsole :)
AmpLiF1eR
Old Dear Hen

Postby jed » Tue Dec 19, 2006 23:52

I'm with you Amp...even though this is the first Gentoo/Portage based distro I have used, I have had much better luck just using Kuroo for searching the tree. At first I was using it to emerge packages, but a few things started getting hosed up. I recompiled Kuroo as wolfden had mentioned and since then have done all emerges from the console with no problems whatsoever.
jed
Baby Hen

Postby Appleman1234 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:27

I like Kuroo and I support it, most of the Kuroo problems you complain about you would still get if you typed emerge -pv world in konsole (this is what kuroo uses to create its dependency graph and package status information.)

The Sabayon World file /var/lib/portage/world is full of junk & redudant packages, I cleaned it out with dep, removed sabayonversion from it and downgraded kuroo to the non beta release, and it worked fine.

On occasion you have to mask certain packages due to bad slotting in portage, but you would have to do the same thingg if you where emerge -pv world in konsole.

Kuroo does have its bugs, and I intend to fix them eventually.
Appleman1234
Old Dear Hen

Postby turquoise » Fri Jan 26, 2007 14:29

Hmm... So far, the main advantage I can see about using Kuroo is to have a graphical view of the portage tree, which can be very useful when removing packages. Portage owns Kuroo in about every other category. I wish it was a bit more like the DesktopBSD Package Manager, which I find much more convivial and it still shows the console output.
Ma philosophie d'apprentissage : essayer, et si ça casse, essayer de réparer.
My learning philosophy: try it, and if it breaks, try to fix it.
turquoise
Old Dear Hen

Postby emerge » Fri Jan 26, 2007 23:05

Kuroo works by me, but slooooow (compared to my gentoo install on the same pc)
emerge
Simple Hen

Postby AmpLiF1eR » Fri Jan 26, 2007 23:15

It was a while ago that I posted this....
Now... after some time, knowing what I'm doing (a little) , I finally see some advantages with portage (no need for Kuroo).

When there is a new Beryl for example, I just have to emerge and that's it... updated with ease.

:)

For browsing the softwarelist on Kuroo, I installed the latest Beta of Kuroo, I don't know if it works for installing things, but I DO know that is skips ALL and EVERY warning about package.mask and 'depgraph failed' and blabla etc etc, so after an emerge sync-- and starting Kuroo, Kuroo just sync with portage without any comments ever.
For emerging, I use the CL.

gr.
Amp
AmpLiF1eR
Old Dear Hen

Postby Goatee » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:53

Neither way works fully for me.

Neither of them can do hostname lookups.

You have to go ahead of them with nslookup, and kuroo doesn't say where it's going so...
Goatee
Sharecropper

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion