Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Nilssab
Baby Hen

Sticky request: How to install Window managers

Post by Nilssab » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:44

Hello,
<TLDR>
I've been trying to install all kinds of different window managers to try what I like best, but for most window managers I have gotten to the problem that I don't know what package should be installed, I didn't have much problems with E17 and Xfce, but installing Gnome and KDE has been a nightmare, since there are too many packages to find which one is the main package for the window manager, for KDE I even ended up installing kde-meta of 2gb+, so I think I've grab a bit more packages than I had in mind...

I did of course try googling this, but since the names on the packages are different, I didn't end up with any useful information.. And also I tried searching this forum, but any way I could imagine searching for it would end up with all search terms being invalid...
</TLDR>

I can imagine that most people wouldn't really know which one is the main package, so I think it would be a great help if someone would write and maintain a sticky post in this section that lists what package(s) should be installed to install the full window manager but not everything that's not really needed.. and maybe what package should be installed to just get the GUI working from another window manager, (although this is probably solved by installing a package that uses it, but in that case what is needed to make it look as it should..)

I sure wouldn't mind doing it myself, if I just knew which packages to actually install, after installing most popular window managers, I still don't know which packages were actually needed.. And do you think there is no need for this?

batvink
Old Dear Hen

Re: Sticky request: How to install Window managers

Post by batvink » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:56

Hi there.
you can install Desktop Environments or Window Managers mostly in several ways.

For Gnome, for example they've made a set, which installs Gnome completely (approx. 165 packages):

Code: Select all

equo install @gnome
You can also choose the Gnome Meta package, which of course also installs Gnome, but leaves some packages out.
(approx. 108 packages):

equo install gnome-base/gnome-3.2.1
The same for KDE:
Many people install KDE using the Meta package, which pulls in all split kde-base/* packages. (approx. 381 packages):

equo install kde-base/kde-meta
There's also a KDE script, which installs a complete KDE session, and associated scripts.
This gives you a very clean, minimalistic, and basic, but full working KDE desktop.
Things like Konqueror, or Dolphin, has to be installed manually, when done.
It's far beyond complete, (no file-manager, etc.) but it gives you a more "minimal" KDE desktop than the meta package.
(approx. 133 packages):

equo install kde-base/kdebase-startkde

Nilssab
Baby Hen

Post by Nilssab » Fri Sep 07, 2012 15:56

Thank you!

I will try the KDE script next time. :)

The meta package I think downloaded Kubric and a shitload of other stuff that is essentially unrelated to a window manager.

This is the kind of information I think would be nice to have in a sticky, explaining how to do these installations, and how to remove unwanted stuff.. The howto section of the wiki covers removal a little bit, but some short guidelines in a forum sticky would be awesome. I think many ppl would look for this kind of information here..

batvink
Old Dear Hen

Post by batvink » Fri Sep 07, 2012 16:55

Nilssab
Baby Hen

Post by Nilssab » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:35

Thank you, nice post!

would it be ok to say that if you want KDE and some other DE running on the same system, and being available from the login screen, in sabayon's case the cleanest way is to Install the KDE version of sabayon and then adding @gnome etc.?

In that case I guess it's pretty simple..
Or does this add a lot more to the system than just installing the LXDE version and adding KDE using startkde?

paddlaren
Baby Hen

Post by paddlaren » Mon Sep 24, 2012 20:12

So, now when there are no LXDE ISO-file, what is a proper base to use before installing @lxde? Is CoreCDX better to use than CodeCD? Is there a graphical logon manager in CoreCDX and if so which?

I will install LXDE at my new Eee-PC with 1 GB RAM (until I upgrade which includes removing the motherboard so i might take several days ;) ).

BR
Erik

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 20:22

Install CoreCDX then:

equo update && equo upgrade
equo install @lxde
The Entropy lxde set includes LXDM.

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:13

You will always pull deps when messing with window manager or desktop environments. Gnome and KDE Desktop Environment will probably the most. You would have to start rewriting ebuilds and maintain an entire tree to stop deps. Removing is no easy solution either, the --deep can be dangerous.

My theory is to keep the WM and DE down to 1 or 2. I don't need KDE, Gnome, LXDE, MATE, XFCE, Compiz all installed at same time. If I want to try out a different DE or WM I can download an ISO file or boot to my testing partition and install it there, but keeping it off my main system. I find that having 2 or more they don't like to play well together anyway. I see others constantly having issues when they load their systems down also. I'm not a fan of installing and removing such things as you just can't get it 100% back to the way it was.

For me, awesome window manager and XFCE work great together. So my advice is to find what you like best and stick with it and save yourself some pain of causing an unstable system from developing.

ratcheer
Growing Hen

Post by ratcheer » Tue Sep 25, 2012 13:09

wolfden wrote: Removing is no easy solution either, the --deep can be dangerous.
Yes, I installed my current system as the Gnome 3 spin, but decided to move to LXDE. Things work, but are a bit screwy. For example, I cannot reboot the system from the LXDE shutdown menu, I have to log out of LXDE and then use the Gnome 3 top panel menu to reboot or poweroff. Also, system resource usage seems quite heavy for an LXDE system.

So, I would like to be able to cleanly remove Gnome 3. But, reading the Wiki article on doing so explains how dangerous this is, so I am avoiding it. This is the system I primarily use and I have done a lot of work to get everything working just right, so I am very hesitant to simply reinstall Sabayon LXDE and start over.

This is not a complaint or even a request for help, I am just stating my situation.

Tim

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:39

Yea and that is generally what happens when you mix DE and WM around, weird things start happening.