kdm after update won't start on starup/hibernate [solved]

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

denijane
Growing Hen

kdm after update won't start on starup/hibernate [solved]

Post by denijane » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:10

After the last update (kernel 3.4.0-r6 and everything with it), my ATI driver (of course) stopped functioning. I checked the forum already, so I see my problems are more or less general.

I changed to the open ati driver by following the instructions. I can't say I'm very pleased with the result, although I have direct rendering according to glxinfo, the computer runs slow and the videos are far from perfect, so I'll probably try to revert to older version of ati-drivers when I have time to experiment. In the mean time, I have some significant problems:

1. kdm won't start automatically. If I log into konsole, and I do
/etc/init.d/xdm stop
/etc/init.d/xdm start
KDE starts. This is highly annoying and I'd be very happy if it can be fixed. I think I so far followed all the instructions on the issue - adding radeon as a module and adding radeon.modeset=1 to grub. kdm is added everywhere I could think of.

The logs can be found at the end.

2. The laptop won't wake up after sleep to RAM. All I get is a black screen. This is particularly horrible, since I tend to put the laptop to slee a lot. I suppose this problem is related to the first one.

3. I cannot control the screen brightness. I don't know how this one can be fixed, but it trully hurts the eyes. Neither Fn+F6 works, nor controlling the screen brightness from the Battery panel.

4. My ultimate problem is with the glx. In my work, I use the Maple software package wich requires hardware acceleration to make 3d plots. Unfortunately Maple do not detect I have hardware acceleration. It seems to be optimized to work with the ati-drivers more than anything else. So I wondered is there any way to convince it (or lie to it) that I have ati-drivers? Any ideas would be appreciated, because I really don't know when I'll be able to revert and I need this for my work.

5. Since I have doubts that 4. can be resolved, I obviously need to revert to ati-drivers, so if anyone could direct me to a how-to for reverting back with portage, I'd be very happy. I'm not scared of dealing with portage, I'll do what I have to and it's the easier option for me than installing fresh Sabayon 9.

Thanks for any ideas! I know it's not Sabayon's fault that ATI suck, but buying a new laptop right now is out of question.
Here are the logs:
lspci:

Code: Select all

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 0c)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 PCI Express Root Port (rev 0c)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 03)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f3)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV630 [Mobility Radeon HD 2600]
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV630 audio device [Radeon HD 2600 Series]
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 01)
05:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection (rev 61)
0c:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller
0c:04.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments PCIxx12 OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
0c:04.2 Mass storage controller: Texas Instruments 5-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO/xD)
0c:04.3 SD Host controller: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller

/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old/:
http://pastebin.com/XWLdLKLW

cat /var/log/kdm.log
http://pastebin.com/w27zCwBv

cat .xsession-errors
http://pastebin.com/C33f5Gg6
Last edited by denijane on Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:26, edited 1 time in total.

denijane
Growing Hen

Re: kdm after update won't start on starup or after hibernat

Post by denijane » Wed Aug 01, 2012 17:44

Ok, since nobody commented here, I'll update you on my progress.
1. Hibernation got fixed. I have no idea how, I just reinstalled the driver, xorg and the kernel couple of times.
2. The login problem is not fixed. After some research, I discovered it is a problem due to the drm module loading before the radeon module. I tried some fixes but nothing worked.
If anyone has a suggestion on this one, I'd be very happy to hear it since we have this problem on two computers now.
3. The brightness problem turned out to be related to me having the following two folders:
/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0
/sys/class/backlight/toshiba
Obviously the system addresses the toshiba folder, while the working one is acpi_video0. Anyway doing:

echo 0 > /sys/class/backlight/toshiba/brightness
fixes the brightness problem.
4. Ultimately, I can say that the opensource ati-driver works marvelously. After I installed it properly, it started working flawlessly and if it wasn't for Maple, I'd stay with it. Because it works great on my video-card. Since I can't make Maple to work under it, and from Maplesoft didn't bother answering my question about the open source driver, I'm reinstalling Sabayon 9 today.

sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Post by sabayonino » Wed Aug 01, 2012 18:47

Did you read "entropy news" ? (via rigo or equo)

$ equo notice sabayonlinux.org
[1] [Fri, 13 Jul 2012 12:42:20 +0000] Titolo: Upcoming important updates for ATI/AMD GPU owners
>> Contenuto: Hi guys, the next week we're going to roll out an
important X.Org Server update. We are updating this
vital component of the distro to version 1.12.2.
In order to do so, we are now forced to upgrade
the AMD Catalyst Drivers to version 12.6. This version
also discontinues the support for Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000.
If you own one of these cards, you better switch to the
OpenSource drivers NOW. It is really easy actually:
make sure to have the xf86-video-ati package installed,
remove "ati-drivers" from your system, remove the following
file /etc/gpu-detector.conf and reboot.
>> Link: http://bit.ly/HSVUyb
try this :

# echo  "modules="radeon"" >> /etc/conf.d/modules
reboot.

My VGA is HD-radeon 43XX series and run KDE ... no problems

denijane
Growing Hen

Post by denijane » Wed Aug 01, 2012 21:03

Hi and thanks for the reply!
Well, I did what you suggested, but it didn't help. But anyway, after checking the log files, I finally managed to fix it!
It turned out that in

/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers
there was a fglrx_drv.so
I guess it was the one messing with the kdm, because after removing it, everything works beautifully. At least on the desktop computer I did it.
On my laptop, I'm with brand-new Sabayon 9 and I just masked the xorg and the ati-drivers. I hope it helps. :)

Btw, if anyone can suggest to me more stuff for masking so that I don't mess my system again, it'll be very helpful. My idea is to stay with the ati-drivers for as long as possible, since Maple doesn't recognise xf86-video-ati for now. I

spiollinux
Baby Hen

Post by spiollinux » Tue Aug 28, 2012 18:24

I have the same problem. I deleted /etc/gpu-detector.conf, added radeon-modeset=1 to the grub commandline and unistalled the fglrx driver. But kdm still doesn't work at boot, only if i do a

/etc/init.d/xdm restart

https://pastebin.sabayon.org/pastie/10336

/var/log/messages
https://pastebin.sabayon.org/pastie/10337

/etc/X11/xorg.conf
https://pastebin.sabayon.org/pastie/10338

/var/log/kdm.log
https://pastebin.sabayon.org/pastie/10339

/var/log/Xorg.0.log
https://pastebin.sabayon.org/pastie/10340

lspci
Maybe someone can help me?

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 21:58

spiollinux, what does the following command return?

$ cat ~/.dmrc | grep -i session

spiollinux
Baby Hen

Post by spiollinux » Tue Aug 28, 2012 22:29

~ $ cat ~/.dmrc | grep -i session
Session=KDE-4

spiollinux
Baby Hen

Post by spiollinux » Wed Aug 29, 2012 17:39

I found out a very strange thing: If I press F2 during boot to switch into verbose mode, xdm/kdm starts and works. But when booting in quite mode (Sabayon bootscreen), kdm just shows a black screen

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 0:03

spiollinux, did you remove the console=tty1 quiet splash=***** and vga=*** completely from /etc/default/sabayon-grub before you used the command grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg (or, alternatively, remove them directly from /boot/grub/grub.cfg)?

spiollinux
Baby Hen

Post by spiollinux » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:58

Thank you, now it works. But is it possible to get the bootsplash back?