KDE 4.8.0 plasma-desktop-shell crashes w/ USB disks [Solved]

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

KDE 4.8.0 plasma-desktop-shell crashes w/ USB disks [Solved]

Postby cmost » Sat Feb 04, 2012 19:06

Just a heads up, I updated to KDE 4.8.0 in Limbo and plasma-desktop-shell crashes every few minutes leaving a black screen. The entire KDE 4.8 system is very unstable FOR ME at this point. I tried deleting my ~/.kde4 directory and starting with a fresh profile but that doesn't work! I also tried disabling Compiz and using Kwin but also didn't stop the plasma crash. KDE 4.7.x worked flawlessly in this regard. Others are reporting no problems, so I'm not sure what's happening on my setup. Meanwhile, I'm reverting back to KDE 4.7.4...

*** Update 03-04-2012 ***

Since I needed to add hard disk space anyway, I decided to install two internal 2TB disks to replace my two external 1TB disks. I updated to KDE 4.8.0 and as usual, plasma-shell crashed repeatedly. I shut down the system, booted to a live CD (with an older version of KDE) and coppied my external disks to the new internal disks. I then removed the external disks from the system. I rebooted Sabayon and surprise, surprise...no more plasma crashes. Except when I insert a USB drive or when I burn a CD or DVD and K3b attempts to eject it. People can say what they want, but this is definitely a bug related to the new re-written removable device manager in KDE 4.8 that should be fixed ASAP.
Last edited by cmost on Sat Mar 10, 2012 18:56, edited 4 times in total.
AMD Phenom II 64 X6 1090T Black Edition
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 w 2048 MB DDR5
Sabayon 2014.x 64 Bit KDE
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln
cmost
Advanced Hen

Re: KDE 4.8.0 in Limbo very unstable!!!

Postby joeoden » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:58

No problems with plasma-desktop-shell crashing on my
Code: Select all
lounge josef # uname -a
Linux lounge 3.2.0-sabayon #1 SMP Thu Jan 26 15:03:26 UTC 2012 x86_64 AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
lounge josef # lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS880 Host Bridge
00:02.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (ext gfx port 0)
00:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 0)
00:05.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 1)
00:07.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 3)
00:11.0 SATA controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [IDE mode]
00:12.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
00:12.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0 USB OHCI1 Controller
00:12.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller
00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0 USB OHCI1 Controller
00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller
00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 3c)
00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 IDE Controller
00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 LPC host controller
00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
00:14.5 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI2 Controller
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)
02:00.0 USB Controller: Fresco Logic FL1000G USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 01)
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9500 GT] (rev a1)
04:00.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller (rev 04)
05:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs CA0106 Soundblaster
will be updating all our other systems to kde 4.8 as soon as possible, don't know if this makes a difference but I use compiz instead of kwin and this system has gnome and razor installed as well as a heap of other non default applications. Waiting for today's daily iso, so I can test on another box as fresh install then do limbo updates
I see that Sabayon is going to revert back to xorg-server-1.10.4 that might be a fix for your problem
Desktop ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus, AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 5200, 4 Gb RAM, GeForce 9500 1GB
Notebook HP CQ61-311AX, AMD CPU M320, 4 Gb RAM, Radeon HD 4300 512 MB
Wireless AR9285, Audio ATI SBx00 (IDT 92hd75B2x5)
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!
joeoden
Old Dear Hen

Location: Back in the 'swamp land' Moe, Australia 38°10′20″S 146°16′04″E

Postby cmost » Sun Feb 05, 2012 15:11

Hey thanks joeoden for telling me of your experience with KDE 4.8. I have a very similar setup to yours except in my case the video is nVidia. I also have some Gnome stuff installed and I also use Compiz instead of Kwin. I'm really not sure why I can't keep the plasma-desktop-shell up for more than a few seconds before it goes bye bye with a bang. I disabled the Limbo repository and reverted back to KDE 4.7.4 and everything is perfectly stable again. Hmmm. It's a shame, I really liked the new dolphin too. :D My system has been installed since Sabayon 5.o and I've been rolling updates ever since. Perhaps it's time I started with a fresh installation but that's such a huge PIA!!
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln
cmost
Advanced Hen

Postby joost » Sun Feb 05, 2012 15:38

No problems here, your statement is false unless you proof things with evidence/logs.

:D

Compiz instead of Kwin

Compiz is old and unmaintained. I am going to remove it from Entropy soon. (so is Gentoo)
joost
Sagely Hen

Re: plasma-desktop-shell crashing in KDE 4.8.0 (Limbo)

Postby cmost » Sun Feb 05, 2012 16:28

@ joost

I understand what you're saying but you'll have to take my word for it that KDE 4.8 was completely unusable for me. My staring at a completely black screen every couple of minutes is all the proof I needed. My command line kung-fu isn't as good as yours so trying to fumble about to retrieve logs or troubleshoot with only the shell was cumbersome. With all due respect, as a developer it's really not helpful when you tell a user his claim of a problem is patently false because everything is working peachy for you. Granted, I understand that my posting a problem without corroborating logs isn't helpful to you either and I apologize. Issuing the command 'plasma-desktop' in the shell would bring it back up just to have it crash again a few minutes later. I already reverted the system back to 4.7.4 so I cannot provide you with any logs or other proof of the issue at this time. Maybe in a few days when I have more time, I'll upgrade again and see if I can post some useful information. In the meantime I edited the thread title to reflect that the issue is mine alone for now. Thanks!
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
cmost
Advanced Hen

Postby cmost » Sun Feb 05, 2012 23:35

Compiz is old and unmaintained. I am going to remove it from Entropy soon. (so is Gentoo)

Why!?!? I love Compiz! I am sorry to see it being phased out... I can remember the (bad) good old days of Beryl and how exciting it was for we Linux users to have the coolest desktop effects of any OS! I've been reading online recently how many distros are eschewing Compiz in favor of Gnome 3.x and KDE's Kwin native effects. What a shame! Compiz still has the best desktop effects around! It's sad that its development has waned and its code is now considered old and unmaintained... :(
8192 MB DDR2 RAM
cmost
Advanced Hen

Postby lhuser » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:22

Same thing here. Crashes when it feels like it and can't do much about it.

I'm running it on AMD Phenom II X4 965, Nvdia GTX 460, 16GB RAM, 500GB HDD.

Running the Kwin's default effects, on nvidia-settings, I am running a 3840x1200 in Twinview mode.

On idle or when in use, it keeps crashing when it feels like it (random).
Most of the times, it stays black, sometimes it comes back and goes away, and once it crashed and seemed to hang the entire system while crashing, ending up to do a hard reset.

If this can help, I was fast enough to bring up the system monitor and when idling, the plasma-desktop module was stopped, so I resumed it, which seemed to make the problem go away...for a minute or two.

I am running Gnome as well, and I have some random Window managers in case these two goes down, so I can find out the issues, but this is frustrating. I love KDE, but I like it when it doesn't keep flashing like a disco ball in my screens.

I still have KDE 4.8, and if you need any logs, show me how and where to get them. I've gotten a lot of experience troubleshooting and working out with command-line apps, but some are still unresolved and there's areas where I didn't go to yet, this being one.
lhuser
Baby Hen

Postby lhuser » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:24

Update: I've messed with KDE a bit more, and tried a few set of commands from the KDE's website. I'm not sure if it's a healthy way to do it or not, but it seems like it shut plasma up on crashing.

Done the following commands in order:

kquitapp plasma-desktop
sleep 20s
mkdir -p $HOME/plasma-config/
mv $(kde4-config --localprefix)/share/config/plasma-desktop* $HOME/plasma-config/
plasma-desktop &

This is the ENTIRE result of all that:
lhuser@PC-0111-3335 ~ $ QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.                                                                                                                                                 
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.                                                                                                                                                                         
QDBusObjectPath: invalid path ""                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
X Error: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation) 2                                                                                                                                                                                                             
  Major opcode: 53 (X_CreatePixmap)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
  Resource id:  0x0                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
X Error: BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter) 9                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
  Major opcode: 14 (X_GetGeometry)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
  Resource id:  0x400022                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
  Major opcode: 3 (X_GetWindowAttributes)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
QPainter::begin: Cannot paint on a null pixmap                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
  Extension:    150 (RENDER)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
  Minor opcode: 4 (RenderCreatePicture)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
  Resource id:  0x400024                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
  Resource id:  0x400026                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
  Resource id:  0x400028                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
  Resource id:  0x40002a
  Resource id:  0x40002c
  Resource id:  0x40002e
  Resource id:  0x400030

lhuser@PC-0111-3335 ~ $ Object::connect: No such signal QDBusAbstractInterface::Changed()
plasma-desktop(12218)/libplasma Plasma::isPluginVersionCompatible: unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
plasma-desktop(12218)/libplasma Plasma::isPluginVersionCompatible: unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability
lhuser@PC-0111-3335 ~ $ link XMLID_34_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_34_ hasn't been detected!
link XMLID_36_ hasn't been detected!

lhuser@PC-0111-3335 ~ $ plasma-desktop(12218)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
Object::connect: No such signal QDBusAbstractInterface::Changed()

lhuser@PC-0111-3335 ~ $ file:///usr/share/apps/plasma/plasmoids/notifier/contents/ui/devicenotifier.qml:166:5: QML QDeclarativeListView_QML_20: Possible anchor loop detected on vertical anchor.
QGraphicsScene::addItem: item has already been added to this scene                                                                                                                                                                                                             
X Error: BadPixmap (invalid Pixmap parameter) 4                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
  Major opcode: 54 (X_FreePixmap)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
X Error: RenderBadPicture (invalid Picture parameter) 172                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
  Minor opcode: 7 (RenderFreePicture)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
  Resource id:  0x400139
  Resource id:  0x400139
  Resource id:  0x40013b
  Resource id:  0x40013b
  Resource id:  0x40013d
  Resource id:  0x40013d
  Resource id:  0x40013f
  Resource id:  0x40013f
  Resource id:  0x400141
  Resource id:  0x400141
  Resource id:  0x400143
  Resource id:  0x400143
  Resource id:  0x400145
  Resource id:  0x400145
  Resource id:  0x400147
  Resource id:  0x400147
link XMLID_36_ hasn't been detected!
plasma-desktop(12218)/plasma StatusNotifierItemSource::refreshCallback: DBusMenu disabled for this application
QGridLayoutEngine::addItem: Cell (0, 1) already taken
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/bin/plasma-desktop from kdeinit
sock_file=/home/lhuser/.kde4/socket-PC-0111-3335/kdeinit4__0
KCrash: Application 'plasma-desktop' crashing...
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib64/kde4/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
sock_file=/home/lhuser/.kde4/socket-PC-0111-3335/kdeinit4__0
libpng error: Write Error

lhuser@PC-0111-3335 ~ $ QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 16 and type 'Read', disabling...

It still kept crashing at that point, but then exited two processes: Nepomuk File Indexing and the Updates notifier. I also turned off notifications, and it seemed to have made it quiet.

Of course, it's useable, but it kind of sucks a little to have the updates notifier out, but so far, all this made it quiet again. At each login, I have to do all that then I can work in KDE.

Only issue now is that Task manager isn't showning up some programs (Chromium, Dolphin, Kwrite).
lhuser
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:27

cmost wrote:

Why!?!? I love Compiz! I am sorry to see it being phased out... I can remember the (bad) good old days of Beryl and how exciting it was for we Linux users to have the coolest desktop effects of any OS! I've been reading online recently how many distros are eschewing Compiz in favor of Gnome 3.x and KDE's Kwin native effects. What a shame! Compiz still has the best desktop effects around! It's sad that its development has waned and its code is now considered old and unmaintained... :(

No Gentoo developers are interested in maintaining Compiz, so it's bitrotting in Gentoo. In fact it's bitrotting generally: see Compiz developer Sam Spillaz' blog post Apology. Compiz is also probably going to be dropped in Fedora 17. Compiz 0.9.x in Gentoo doesn't work properly. The Compiz 0.8.4 ebuilds work more or less OK (although there is no patch for KDE 4.8.0 in the 0.8.4 ebuilds so the KDE4 Window Decorator cannot be used, only Emerald and GTK window decorators). However, there are 0.8.8 ebuilds in the stuff overlay which can be built with USE="kde" to enable the KDE4 Window Decorator. Anyway, if you want to keep Compiz, see Moving Compiz to a local overlay in Gentoo, but you need to know a) how to use Portage, and b) how to use Portage in SL specifically (yes, a and b are two different things).
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby lhuser » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:50

Wasn't Compiz resource intensive, like Beryl was or was it XGL?

Anyways, KDE is running OK with all this done, but Nepomuk and the updates notifier doesn't seem to cause trouble, so it seems with the removable storage notifications that it plays a little. I have no clue if the commands I've ran solved it or made it crippled (which I think it did. It's not quite the way I wanted it to be.
lhuser
Baby Hen

Next

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers