(Urgent) Problem with KDE [Solved]

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

(Urgent) Problem with KDE [Solved]

Postby chasha420 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:37

Hi guys, this is an awkward problem lol. Thing is I made a fresh KDE install, setup all the necessary applications, theme, desktop effects and everything. All was going fine when I started to browse Sabayon forums... :shock:

And then I saw this thread "Attention KDE 4.6 Users!" > "http://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=22916"

Clicked on it and saw that they recommended a fix for some weird problem that I don't know if it's applicable to me :oops:

So...I did what was told and now brought up the problem onto myself lol. :mrgreen:

Now I see that icons are grayed out and when I click on the various options on system settings they don't show up either.

Anyway if there's a fix for this...then please recommend one or if it's too much of a hassle then I'll have to consider a fresh install again.

I'm using the latest version of Sabayon6 KDE Edition that has just been released.

FIX: I went on IRC and Azerthoth helped me resolve this.

For future reference and also for users who might face the same problem let me post the fix here:

(Write this down some where because you'll have to log out of KDE)

-> Logout

-> Press Ctrl + Alt + F1

-> Login with username and password

-> Type "su" without quotes to login as root

-> Type without the quotes: "/etc/init.d/xdm stop"

-> You need to fall back to user account, press "Ctrl + d"

-> Type without quotes "rm -rf ~/.kd*"

-> Relogin as root by typing "su"

-> Type without quotes: "/etc/init.d/xdm start"

Now reboot and you should be back with the default KDE Installation, not necessarily Sabayon themes installed. You can customise the themes to get it back.

Technological Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers