Kwin Desktop Effects & 4.6.3 upgrade [Solved]

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Kwin Desktop Effects & 4.6.3 upgrade [Solved]

Postby pajamabama » Sun May 15, 2011 22:15

Much like the issue described in http://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=24057, after the upgrade to KDE 4.6.3, Kwin is reporting that desktop effects are too slow and so they are disabled. And as in that thread, I too found that the nvidia driver had not been properly selected. So I selected it (eselect opengl set nvidia).

The problem is that now KDE won't even log in fully. It goes through the login sequence where icons fade in and is just about to deliver my to the desktop when the image just freezes. I KDE login sound plays, and I can even move the mouse around and interact with windows that are there but not visible (drag, resize, etc - the cursor changes accordingly). I even see that the wireless connection is being made. But the actual image on the screen is frozen just as the last icon in the login sequence is about to be faded in. I have to ctrl-alt-f1 to a shell and eselect back to the xorg driver.

I can have the nvidia driver selected for opengl, as long as opengl is not used to render desktop effects (select XRender in Advanced tab).

The following may be of interest in the Xorg log:
Code: Select all
[    28.146] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the GLX module; please check in your X
[    28.146] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     log file that the GLX module has been loaded in your X
[    28.146] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     server, and that the module is the NVIDIA GLX module.  If
[    28.146] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     you continue to encounter problems, Please try
[    28.146] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     reinstalling the NVIDIA driver.
[    29.148] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Display (Seiko/Epson (DFP-0)) does not support NVIDIA 3D
[    29.148] (II) NVIDIA(GPU-0):     Vision stereo.
[    29.155] (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce Go 7400 (G72) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
[    29.155] (--) NVIDIA(0): Memory: 262144 kBytes
[    29.155] (--) NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 05.72.22.41.ad
[    29.155] (II) NVIDIA(0): Detected PCI Express Link width: 16X
[    29.155] (--) NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on this GPU
[    29.155] (--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce Go 7400 at PCI:1:0:0
[    29.155] (--) NVIDIA(0):     Seiko/Epson (DFP-0)
[    29.155] (--) NVIDIA(0): Seiko/Epson (DFP-0): 330.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
[    29.155] (--) NVIDIA(0): Seiko/Epson (DFP-0): Internal Dual Link LVDS
[    29.156] (II) NVIDIA(0): Assigned Display Device: DFP-0
[    29.156] (==) NVIDIA(0):
[    29.156] (==) NVIDIA(0): No modes were requested; the default mode "nvidia-auto-select"
[    29.156] (==) NVIDIA(0):     will be used as the requested mode.
[    29.156] (==) NVIDIA(0):
[    29.156] (II) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
[    29.156] (II) NVIDIA(0):     "nvidia-auto-select"
[    29.156] (II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 1280 x 800
[    29.156] (--) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (98, 96); computed from "UseEdidDpi" X config
[    29.156] (--) NVIDIA(0):     option
[    29.156] (**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling 32-bit ARGB GLX visuals.
[    29.162] (II) NVIDIA(0): ACPI: failed to connect to the ACPI event daemon; the daemon
[    29.162] (II) NVIDIA(0):     may not be running or the "AcpidSocketPath" X
[    29.162] (II) NVIDIA(0):     configuration option may not be set correctly.  When the                     
[    29.162] (II) NVIDIA(0):     ACPI event daemon is available, the NVIDIA X driver will                     
[    29.163] (II) NVIDIA(0):     try to use it to receive ACPI event notifications.  For                       
[    29.163] (II) NVIDIA(0):     details, please see the "ConnectToAcpid" and
[    29.163] (II) NVIDIA(0):     "AcpidSocketPath" X configuration options in Appendix B: X
[    29.163] (II) NVIDIA(0):     Config Options in the README.
[    29.163] (II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "nvidia-auto-select"

I did reinstall the nvidia driver and it is loading (I see the Nvidia splash screen). How do I check the GLX module is loaded in to the X server? What about the ACPI connection? Is that relevant? I appreciate any help.

Thanks.
Last edited by pajamabama on Wed May 18, 2011 0:27, edited 2 times in total.
HP dv6000t
SabayonLinux 5.5 - x86_64

www.pedorro.com
pajamabama
Growing Hen

Re: Kwin Desktop Effects & 4.6.3 upgrade

Postby genfool » Sun May 15, 2011 22:37

did you eselect kernel list and uname -r to see they match?

You also may find that the old nvidia-driver was not removed properly. You can check this with equo search nvidia
This will give you a long list of nvidia drivers for each kernel. If you see that you have more then one version of the drivers installed, equo remove nvidia-drivers should remove all, equo install nvidia-drivers to install correct version
you may also want to look at /etc/X11/xorg.conf see what driver is listed. It may be that it is nv and not nvidia.
If all is good and set to kernel and nvidia.

I then would want to check kde and see if that is the problem, as user not root

mv ~/.kde4 ~/.kde4.old
genfool
Technological Hen

Postby ztico » Mon May 16, 2011 0:50

I have exactly the same problem.
Here is the report on /var/log/kdm.log
klauncher(7367) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server.
kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
kdmgreet(7130)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): KSystemTimeZones: ktimezoned initialize() D-Bus call failed:  "Not connected to D-Bus server"

BTW, dbus is running...
ztico
Baby Hen

Postby pajamabama » Mon May 16, 2011 1:58

No luck.
Tried the suggestions above. Reinstalled the driver (this demanded an upgrade to kernel 2.6.38 - so I did that too). xorg.conf has the following:
Section "Device"

Identifier  "SabayonVga0"
    Driver      "nvidia"
    #BusID    "PCI:01:00"
    #Option "RenderAccel" "on"
    #Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"
    #Option "BusType" "PCI"
    #Option "ColorTiling" "on"
    #Option "EnablePageFlip" "on"
    Option "UseEvents" "True"
    Option "LogoPath" "/usr/share/backgrounds/sabayonlinux-nvidia.png"

EndSection

eselect opengl is set to nvidia. uname and the eselect kernel match.

I too am seeing the same dbus error in the kdm log and I too am fairly certain dbus is running (the entropy notification applet says it's using it). I'm also seeing a seg fault in the kdm log saying that it died trying to start X (related to the dbus error?):
klauncher(7130) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server.
kdmgreet(6930)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): KSystemTimeZones: ktimezoned initialize() D-Bus call failed:  "Not connec
ted to D-Bus server"

Backtrace:
0: /usr/bin/X (xorg_backtrace+0x28) [0x4a1a78]
1: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x63999) [0x463999]
2: /lib64/libpthread.so.0 (0x7f7e7b786000+0xf120) [0x7f7e7b795120]
3: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so (0x7f7e791d5000+0x36c88) [0x7f7e7920bc88]
4: /usr/bin/X (FreeClientResources+0xef) [0x44dc4f]
5: /usr/bin/X (FreeAllResources+0x47) [0x44dd07]
6: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x24834) [0x424834]
7: /lib64/libc.so.6 (__libc_start_main+0xfd) [0x7f7e7a978bbd]
8: /usr/bin/X (0x400000+0x24389) [0x424389]
Segmentation fault at address (nil)

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.x.org
 for help.
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.

klauncher(7757) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server.
kdmgreet(7448)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): KSystemTimeZones: ktimezoned initialize() D-Bus call failed:  "Not connected to D-Bus server"

I appreciate any help.
HP dv6000t
SabayonLinux 5.5 - x86_64

www.pedorro.com
pajamabama
Growing Hen

Postby Sisko43 » Mon May 16, 2011 15:15

Have you tried to login via text-console-mode:

su -

The "-" is important.

Your root-Password

startx

startkde

If that is possible you have a Rights-Issue and I would try it with a new user account...
Sisko43
Growing Hen

Postby ztico » Mon May 16, 2011 16:27

Sisko43 wrote:Have you tried to login via text-console-mode:

su -

The "-" is important.

Your root-Password

startx

startkde

If that is possible you have a Rights-Issue and I would try it with a new user account...

I started having these problems just after the subsequent reboot to the upgrade, so I did a complete reinstallation with a "daily" iso.
The result was the same...
kde can start when it has marked 'xorg-x11' in eselect opengl (without rendering and desktop effects) but not when it's nvidia instead (in this case, the screen freezes before appearing the kde logo in the Splash Screen)
ztico
Baby Hen

Postby Sisko43 » Mon May 16, 2011 17:49

Maybe a bug in the nvidia-driver?!

A few days ago I made a package-request for the nvidia-driver in version 270.41.06. Now we got 270.41.03. This one was a pre-release to the xxx.xx.06-driver.

In the bugfix-list of the xxx.xx.06-driver you can read:

Fixed a bug that caused some GPUs to stop responding when the X Server was started. All GPUs are susceptible, but the failure was primarily seen on GF104 and GF106 boards.

Maybe this is the hint...
Sisko43
Growing Hen

Postby dyingmuppet » Mon May 16, 2011 18:16

Hey guys, try to run "eselect opengl set nvidia" and try to reboot/relogin.
then it should use the nvidia drivers again.

--edit-- just saw the latter post, that it would not work?
dyingmuppet
Growing Hen

Postby genfool » Mon May 16, 2011 18:30

have you tried as a user mv ~/.kde4 ~/.kde4.old

equo install kde-meta

I always run, equo deptest && equo libtest
after big updates, or the first sign of strange errors, has fixed a lot of things for me in the past.

Unless you have a strong heart, I would stay away from /var/log/kdm.log :lol:
I have seen the same error on 4 kde systems. Speculation is, another file is trying to load before dbus, and kicks out the error. dbus is indeed running.

And to simplify things, we are not sure if this is video or kde related right now.
Is one reason I always have a back up de installed. xfce4 is a small lightweight de, does not take a lot of room to install.
equo install xfce4-meta
At the login screen, under session and choose xfce and login.
If xfce starts and works normally with nvidia, then we look harder at kde. or the other way around.

Not sure if I have mentioned this yet, I have seen times where old nvidia-drivers, do not get removed correctly.
You only want one driver for your working kernel. The only way I know to check this, sure there is a better way.
equo search nvidia
This will produce a list of every driver available, all legacy and kernel versions. Look through the list,
It will say the version available, under that it will say the version installed.
If you see more then 1 kernel version listed as installed, will cause problems.... I have seen 3 kernel versions installed on one of my systems.
In this case, equo remove nvidia-drivers might work, equo search nvidia again and double check that they are gone. If not, you may need to manually remove them with equo remove <exact driver kernel version> then,
equo install nvidia-drivers

I do not remember seeing the model of nvidia card you have?
Just throwing ideas out there at this point, hoping something works, is usually something simple ... when we find it
genfool
Technological Hen

Postby ztico » Mon May 16, 2011 20:57

genfool wrote:have you tried as a user mv ~/.kde4 ~/.kde4.old

equo install kde-meta

Yep I have, I read everything i found about this issue like viewtopic.php?f=53&t=24057
genfool wrote:I always run, equo deptest && equo libtest
after big updates, or the first sign of strange errors, has fixed a lot of things for me in the past.

Me too, but thx for advising anyway ;)
And to simplify things, we are not sure if this is video or kde related right now.
Is one reason I always have a back up de installed. xfce4 is a small lightweight de, does not take a lot of room to install.
equo install xfce4-meta
At the login screen, under session and choose xfce and login.
If xfce starts and works normally with nvidia, then we look harder at kde. or the other way around.

I have installed fluxbox and xfce and work smoothly with both xorg-x11 and nvidia
genfool wrote:Not sure if I have mentioned this yet, I have seen times where old nvidia-drivers, do not get removed correctly.
You only want one driver for your working kernel. The only way I know to check this, sure there is a better way.
equo search nvidia
This will produce a list of every driver available, all legacy and kernel versions. Look through the list,
It will say the version available, under that it will say the version installed.
If you see more then 1 kernel version listed as installed, will cause problems.... I have seen 3 kernel versions installed on one of my systems.
In this case, equo remove nvidia-drivers might work, equo search nvidia again and double check that they are gone. If not, you may need to manually remove them with equo remove <exact driver kernel version> then,
equo install nvidia-drivers

I did a completly clean instalation from the daily iso (May 11th) So I have just installed one kernel and no other nvidia driver.
genfool wrote:I do not remember seeing the model of nvidia card you have?
Just throwing ideas out there at this point, hoping something works, is usually something simple ... when we find it

I have a GForce Go 7400 nvidia card (pretty old, but working without any problems until now)

Thanks for answering ;) I can still get by without any desktop effects but it's quite annoying :S
ztico
Baby Hen

Next

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers