KDE Desktop Search & Dolphin performance issues [Solved]

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

KDE Desktop Search & Dolphin performance issues [Solved]

Postby chasha420 » Mon May 09, 2011 6:34

Hey guys, I was wondering do any of you use the desktop search feature on KDE? Currently I do not have it enabled, but the last time I enabled it...I saw that there was constantly heavy use of system resources.

The process virtuoso-t used to have min. of 30% usage & would go higher depending on what's going on, etc.

So I wanted to know what is the main benefit of enabling the desktop search along with file indexing feature? I mean would it load files faster in Dolphin? I did notice that currently in my case when ever I click on home, dolphin takes min. of 1-3 s when it loads for the first time excluding the compiz animations, etc. But when I had a fresh KDE install it loaded instantly, so I guess it has to do something with me tweaking/changing dolphin's settings. Let me know what can improve dolphin's performance.

Thanks.
Last edited by chasha420 on Wed May 18, 2011 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
chasha420
Technological Hen

Re: KDE Desktop Search & Dolphin performance issues

Postby chasha420 » Sat May 14, 2011 15:00

Sorry for the double post, but I've found the root of this stupid problem in Dolphin.

It seems that a few days back I did insert a game dvd & forgot to take it out...therefore every time I started dolphin it attempted to read the DVD's contents automatically (noticed this after I saw dvd drive light flashing). So after removing the dvd, the speed of dolphin is back to normal again. Anyway, since I'm new to KDE...can someone point out how I can disable the autoread feature so that dvd's in the drive are not automatically read unless I'm accessing them manually? Thanks a lot.
chasha420
Technological Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers