KDE Installation [Solved]

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Re: KDE Installation

Postby throdon » Sun Apr 17, 2011 22:25

Also is there a KDE based email client or something?

there is kmail, it's a part of kontact and/or koffice. I generally use 'thunderbird' for my email or the web
Troll hunter with an overzealous nature
throdon
Advanced Hen

Postby sqlpython » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:45

Also is there a KDE based email client or something?

You should get Kmail with the Base install. The KDE equivalent of Evolution would be Kontact.
Personally, while I have extensively used Evolution & Kontact, I prefer Thunderbird with Lightning Calendar AddOn.
Matter of preference.
Criticism accepted for Solutions that work. ;^)
Sabayon 13-DEBIAN 8- #! -Sid-Slackware 14-Calculate 13-Bridge
sqlpython
Technological Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:26

throdon wrote:there is kmail, it's a part of kontact and/or koffice. I generally use 'thunderbird' for my email or the web

I also use Thunderbird as all the other email clients have what I consider to be a problem. Kmail, particularly, is not really an email programme but more a file manager. It all looks very good and appears to work well until the time comes to do a backup and you find that every email is a separate file rather than part of a database. It makes a simple job very tedious.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 18:22

^I use Thunderbird as my main e-mail client, but do use KMail to open individual Outlook e-mail files that I have converted from .MSG format to .MIME format (see SL Wiki article HOWTO: Read Microsoft Outlook .MSG files in Linux). So, in that respect, I'm glad KMail works with an individual file per e-mail.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby chasha420 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 19:57

Hey guys, I had one more question: How do I change the default Sabayon Login Screen? Or is it permanent & not changable?

Also I have these weird problem with "Pager" widget on kde panel...."pager" is the widget you use to switch between virtual desktops. What happens after I log in is that instead of 4 window icons representing 4 virtual desktops in the pager itself, it shows 1 even though in the settings it's listed as 4...and docky almost all of the time stays invisible if I switch to a different virtual desktop...but strangely enough when I hover my mouse over the docky icons (I'm assuming the icons are there over invisible docky) the texts representing the application names in the docky actually appear.

I know it's a strange issue really lol (more like having an imaginary pet)....but I think I'll record it & post a video to show proof. This issue only happens when I log in for the first time, but after I kill docky & start it...also when I mess around with pager (like adding & removing virtual desktops) it's fixed. May be it has something to do with the fact that I didn't do a fresh install of KDE and some settings might be messed up cos I've been using Gnome. But, this issue doesn't get in the way much.

Anyway, I think I'll report back with a video or something sometime later.
chasha420
Technological Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 21:46

Haven't changed it for a while, but take a gander at Reverting to SL login screen after upgrading KDE [Solved]. You need to edit the kdmrc file.

Regarding the KDE Pager widget issue you're seeing, I experience the same thing when I'm using Compiz in KDE instead of KWin. Occasionally the Pager's four screen icons are displayed in the Panel, but, usually, only one screen icon is displayed (although I can still switch to the other sides of the cube). But if I select KWin as the window manager instead of Compiz, I see the four screen icons. So I suppose Compiz, which is not designed for KDE, is interfering with KDE. Presumably the same comment applies to Docky, which is designed for GNOME Do, isn't it, rather than KDE.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Previous

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers