Latest updates failures [Solved]

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Latest updates failures

Postby sabayonino » Sat Apr 16, 2011 21:39

Fitzcarraldo wrote:I suggest you file a bug report in the SL Bugzilla, NoSavy, because it looks like your problem may be specific to the Entropy packages environment. However, if sabayonino also uses Entropy, rather than Portage, in his SL installation then that may not be the case.

@ Fitz.

On Sabayon-KDE-64 (fully updated from entropy; not portage) kdesu something works fine for me

On Gentoo (not sabayon + portage...) 64 KDE fully Updated (default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop
profile ) kdesu something works fine

NoSavy Has a configuration issue maybe ...

I think kdesu use/call a dbus daemon (or D-bus session server) to run any applications propely

I suggest to NoSavy runs kdesu to run X11-applications and sudo for no-X11 applications ...
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Apr 16, 2011 22:47

sabayonino wrote:I suggest to NoSavy runs kdesu to run X11-applications and sudo for no-X11 applications ...

I've just read earlier in this thread that joost can also do kdesu dolphin and open a log file in KWrite by clicking on it. So the question is why joost, genfool (with some hacking), sabayonino and I can do this, whereas NoSavy cannot. And, in his case, the problem started in SL amd64 when he upgraded from KDE 4.6.1 to 4.6.2, and in SL x86 when he upgraded from KDE 4.5 to 4.6.2.

Looking at the error message he is seeing ("KLauncher could not be reached via D-Bus. Error when calling start_service_by_desktop_path: The name org.kde.klauncher was not provided by any .service files"), I wonder if this is a file association issue.

Here are the settings on my main laptop:

Select 'Kickoff' > 'System Settings' > 'File Associations'

Expand "text"

Select "plain"

The Application Preference Order is as follows (this will vary from machine to machine):

KWrite
KMail
LibreOffice Writer
qGo
Kate
Emacsclient
GNU Emacs
notepad

Select the top-priority entry, KWrite, and clicking 'Edit...' and the 'Application' tab, the 'Command' box contains:

Code: Select all
kwrite %U

Click on 'Advanced Options' a new window pops up and, at the bottom, it has 'D-Bus registration: Multiple instances'

NoSavy, check what these settings are on your machine. Then launch System Settings by entering kdesu systemsettings in a Konsole window and repeat the above to see what the settings are for the root user.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby NoSavy » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:10

Many thanks for your replies Fitzcarraldo.
I have tried your suggestions along with all the other ones, but still no success.
One change though is that by changing and trying the Dbus registration settings to 'multiple instances' I then reverted to what they were and it seems to have solved the dbus-daemon hogging the CPU problem. The settings are now set as they were, which is the same as another working KDE 4.6.2 system.

Thank to Sabayonino,
Please, can you actually click on a file to open and edit it after starting 'kdesu dolphin' session.?????

Thanks again, I will pursue this.

NS.

Note: I have now installed krusader and running this as 'kdesu krusader' is enabling me to peruse and open/edit files as root.
Asus M4A79XTD EVO motherboard, AMD Phenom II X4 965 CPU, 4 GB ram.
Gigabyte NVIDIA 9800GT Silent graphics card, Dell FP2007 22 Digital Flat panel.
Samsung harddisks 2 x 200gb SP2004S,1 x Hitachi 750gb HDT 72107,Optiarc SATA DVD-RW. Sabayon 64 & 32bit.
NoSavy
Simple Hen

Postby sabayonino » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:52

NoSavy wrote:
Thank to Sabayonino,
Please, can you actually click on a file to open and edit it after starting 'kdesu dolphin' session.?????

Yes,I can :roll:
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby NoSavy » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:04

Thanks Sabayonino. :cry:
Samsung harddisks 2 x 200gb SP2004S,1 x Hitachi 750gb HDT 72107,Optiarc SATA DVD-RW. Sabayon 64 & 32bit.
NoSavy
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Apr 17, 2011 20:13

Try putting the following two lines before the "</busconfig>" line at the end of the file /etc/dbus-1/system.conf:

<includedir>/etc/dbus-1/system.d</includedir>
<servicedir>/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services</servicedir>

Then reboot and try again.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby NoSavy » Sun Apr 17, 2011 20:47

Fitzcarraldo, I've tried your suggestion and have had no joy.

I think I will abandon trying to fix it and attempt a fresh install of 32bit Sabayon.
One final question please.

If I do a fresh install and then copy my existing dir' /var/lib/entropy/client/packages and the sub-dir /packages-nonfree to the new installation, will an upgrade pick these up and save me downloading another 1.5gb of updates.??

Very frustrating.

Thanks again.

NS
NoSavy
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Apr 17, 2011 23:44

Can you hang fire on the re-install until I check something on my main laptop (which I don't have access to just at the moment)? Your problem could be something as trivial as a missing KDE service file, and I would like to see what I have on my main laptop.

For my own information:
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=449056
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=66 ... 6&start=10
http://www.mombu.com/gnu_linux/mandriva ... 25842.html
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=165268
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Mon Apr 18, 2011 14:55

Just found that I have the same issue. The same error message when trying to open a file using kdesu dolphin (but not the CPU problem). SL 5 x86 K fully updated with kernel 2.6.38 (KDE 4.6.2). I can't date the error precisely but it probably coincides with the upgrade to 4.6.2 as it worked well enough until very recently.
I've tried the various suggestions in the thread but they have made no difference. I have gedit as my preferred editor but the same occurs whichever editor I choose. If I do kdesu thunar, kdesu nautilus, kdesu konqueror or kdesu krusader there is no problem with any editor so it is limited to dolphin.
(There is a strange error message when I use kdesu konqueror "KDEinit could not launch '/usr/bin/gedit'" but that pops up after gedit has opened and has nothing to do with this problem)

Edit; I've just come across another error message if I try and run dolphin as root or as sudo. I wonder if this could have a bearing on the problem:
robin@robin2 ~ $ su
Password:
robin2 robin # dolphin
unnamed app(29106): KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server:  "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."

unnamed app(29102): KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly.

And this is the error for sudo:
Password:
unnamed app(4453): KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server:  "/usr/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally with the following error: No protocol specified
Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed.
"

unnamed app(4449): KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

PreviousNext

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers