Bizarre rogue image

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Bizarre rogue image

Postby dunsurfin » Sat Apr 09, 2011 18:34

This has happened before but not for a few months and I thought it was an isolated incident then.

SL 5.x x86 K fully update 2.6.38 kernel. Intel Core2 duo 2997, Nvidia GeForce 8500, Dell monitor 1920x1080.

After running the latest update to KDE 4.6.2 and rebooting I started Firefox (4) and a picture appeared in my Google home page. The picture is from a search I did a few weeks ago for pine shelving. Clearing the cache makes no difference, the picture cannot be captured by normal methods (I had to use a camera). It appears on top of most programmes that I start and will not react to any input. As far as the rest of the PC is concerned it doesn't exist. The only way I got rid of it was with a reboot.
I'm unable to post the images as "the board attachment quota has been reached". I will put them somewhere else and edit this post later.
Edit: Images here: http://www.sabayonspoiler.plus.com/file ... age.tar.gz (remove "spoiler")
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Re: Bizarre rogue image

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Apr 09, 2011 21:07

I had the same problem a few weeks ago, but unfortunately cannot remember whether it was on my main laptop (KDE 4.6.1; ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650; ati-drivers; Entropy not installed: managed using Portage) or on my nettop (KDE 4.6.1; NVIDIA ION; nvidia-drivers; mostly managed using Entropy). So I can't pin it down to a particular thing. Whatever the cause, it went away. Since then I've upgraded a few packages on the laptop, and upgraded everything on my nettop via Entropy. My guess is xorg-server or the video driver, but it could also be a problem with KDE itself I suppose.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Sat Apr 09, 2011 21:22

As you say, it does go away but my PC needs a reboot to do it. I can remember that the other time it happened I had also been looking at the Wilkinson website and, in each case, it was a separate window (probably a zoom window) that caused it. In my previous life as a Windows user I knew how to empty the Java cache but am not sure how to do it with Linux. I wonder if it may be a malformed bit of Java that is doing it.

Edit: Found the Java control panel in "Utilities" to clear the Java cache.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby chasha420 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:47

Hi, your incident sounds interesting. Could you please upload the image to an image uploading site? http://min.us/

Also, I had a question: Why were you not able to take a screenshot of the image?

Thanks a lot.
chasha420
Technological Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:56

I have uploaded the images and provided a url for them - just remove the word "spoiler" and you will get the images in tar.gz form.
Any screenshot or other image capture refused to capture the rogue image. It's as though it were in a separate gui.

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby chasha420 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 18:39

Hmmm, the image looks interesting...but why does it have to be a cigarette company?! :mrgreen:

Probably an adware type of thing going on.
chasha420
Technological Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Fri Apr 15, 2011 18:48

Wilkinsons is a chain of hardware shops and I had been searching their website for pine shelving. The image is one that I'd seen on the website. One point I forgot to mention is that when I rebooted, the image remained on my screen after the log-off until just before the system shut down.

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Fri Apr 15, 2011 20:32

Just had another look and see what you mean chasha420 :) :oops:

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers