KDE 4.6 Dolphin Kmix Magneto issues [Solved]

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

KDE 4.6 Dolphin Kmix Magneto issues [Solved]

Postby Antidieu » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:26

With KDE upgrade to version 4.6.0, several issues have appeared:
  1. udisks is now asking for athentication password everytime I mount my NTFS partition in Dolphin
  2. My system tray got messed up showing three or four instances of Magneto Entropy Notification applet on every session start. No matter whether I close them all or remove/reinstall magneto-kde, they keep on appearing after logging in again.
  3. On the other hand, Kmix is not displaying volume tabs for play device and play stream in the mixer window and failing to create the proper views for those elements.
Please help me resolve these issues. I know they're not severe but very annoying.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Antidieu on Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:10, edited 6 times in total.
Gateway M-6804m (2 GiB RAM)
Intel Core 2 Duo T5250
Intel GM965/GL960
Antidieu
Simple Hen

Re: Dolphin, Kmix and notification applet issues on KDE 4.6

Postby raman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:27

I have only one from yours issues, magneto icons. Nothing helps, so i uinstalled magneto. For now i think it's a best way :(
Last edited by raman on Mon Feb 21, 2011 18:06, edited 1 time in total.
raman
Advanced Hen

Re: Dolphin, Kmix and notification applet issues on KDE 4.6

Postby Antidieu » Fri Feb 04, 2011 23:58

raman wrote:I have only one fron yours issue, magneto icons. Nothing helps, so i uinstalled magneto. For now i think it's a best way :(

Thanks for replying Raman. I think the same about magneto too, I've just removed it. I can use Sulfur directly anyway. 8)

EDIT:
I've just installed magneto-kde-1.0_alpha14 but the multiple instances issue is still there.
Intel Core 2 Duo T5250
Intel GM965/GL960
Antidieu
Simple Hen

Re: Dolphin, Kmix and Magneto applet issues on KDE 4.6

Postby Antidieu » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:46

OK, I've been waiting a while for some upgrades and here are the news about the issues reported:
  1. [Unsolved] I've tried to change the settings in System Settings > Actions Policy but the module cannot retain the policies every time I set the new rules to udisk. This is a bug on the module, so it's got to be set manually.
  2. Multiple icons on system tray disappeared after upgrading to <=magneto-kde-1.0_alpha14, if this doesn't solve the problem, then you could follow these instructions by wolfden.
  3. [Unsolved] Kmix is still unable to display the views for PulseAudio Playback Devices and Playback Streams within its window
UPDATE: Problems 1 and 3 are still present in KDE 4.6.2. Read ahead to the last post for solving them.
Last edited by Antidieu on Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:52, edited 3 times in total.
Intel Core 2 Duo T5250
Intel GM965/GL960
Antidieu
Simple Hen

Re: KDE 4.6 Dolphin Kmix Magneto issues [Solved 1/3]

Postby timothyRlamora » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:52

I had that problem with kmix to so I removed and now use alsamixer
timothyRlamora
Growing Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Feb 21, 2011 19:12

Antidieu wrote:[Unsolved] Kmix doesn't display all the mixer channels.

KMix isn't supposed to show all the mixer channels. It is supposed to show PulseAudio channels, not the low-level ALSA channels. To view and adjust the low-level ALSA channels you are supposed to use ALSAMixer. See the following thread for details: Kmix lost channels [Solved].

I can adjust the underlying ALSA channels using ALSAMixer. Why don't you do the adjustment using ALSAMixer? It's very easy to use:

That way you can use KMix with the overlying PulseAudio channels for normal use, or to adjust individual applications' audio when you have more than one audio application running, just like the example KMix image below from my laptop running KDE:

and just like you can in Windows 7:

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Antidieu » Wed Feb 23, 2011 19:03

Fitzcarraldo wrote:KMix isn't supposed to show all the mixer channels. It is supposed to show PulseAudio channels, not the low-level ALSA channels.

You're right Fitzcarraldo, Kmix is not supposed to show ALSA mixer channels, however that's not the issue. What I really want to mean is that Kmix is not able to display PulseAudio volume controls for neither Playback Devices nor Playback Streams, not even creating the view for those channels on Kmix window. I'm currently using PulseAudio Volume Control instead for that matter.

P.S. I'm editting my post below to be clearer.
Last edited by Antidieu on Wed Feb 23, 2011 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
Intel Core 2 Duo T5250
Intel GM965/GL960
Antidieu
Simple Hen

Re: KDE 4.6 Dolphin Kmix Magneto issues

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 19:36

I used the KMix Settings menu and button on LHS of KMix window to create four tabs: Playback Devices, Playback Streams, Capture Devices and Capture Streams. On the Playback Devices tab I right-clicked on 'Internal Audio Analog Stereo' and clicked on 'Split Channels' to view the left and right stereo channels. Is that what you are referring to? If not, please list the names of all the channels you mean. See also Comment No. 2 in KDE Bug Report No. 254016 - KMix with Pulseaudio doesn't show channels in config channel dialog after upgrading to Kubuntu 10.10.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Antidieu » Wed Feb 23, 2011 20:36

Fitzcarraldo wrote:I used the KMix Settings menu and button on LHS of KMix window to create four tabs.

Thanks for your replay, Fitzcarraldo. That bug report has nothing to do. The problem is that I'm not able to display two of those tabs (views) when I try to show them with the Add view dialog that opens with the most leftward button next to the tabs (the button that "creates" more tabs).

What's wrong with KMix is that it fails to create specificly 2 tabs: Playback Streams and Playback Devices. In fact, they're never shown but I've just noticed this happens only in spanish language, when in english the GUI shows all 4 tabs. Again in spanish localized KDE, it just throws the following error message: "No es posible añadir la vista - El perfil de la interfaz gráfica no es válido" (The view cannot be added - GUI profile is not valid). I guess KMix is having some trouble in dealing with special characters.

P.S. I tried to paste a picture of the KMix window, but Sabayon site (pastebin and forum) refuses to upload it.
Last edited by Antidieu on Wed Feb 23, 2011 21:22, edited 3 times in total.
Intel Core 2 Duo T5250
Intel GM965/GL960
Antidieu
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 21:01

Ah, so the problem is only with the Spanish-language version of KMix. I suggest you post a bug report in the KDE Bugzilla.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers