Re: Sabayon Suddenly Freeze

Postby Luposz » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:49

Hahah xD!
=3
Thanks a lot for that link =3
Let me check it and let me see if something of all that fix the problem ^^
=3
I really appreciate all your help *-*

Edit: It says that the problem is related to OpenGL, that XRender is fine, I'll test that and I'll post if that is true, also I'm downloading something that supposedly fix that o.o
Luposz
Young Hen

Postby Luposz » Sun Oct 24, 2010 16:28

I did a fresh install
And update 1 by 1 the packages
The problem is in the Intel drivers :S
But if I don't install the driver the desktop is slow... =/
Luposz
Young Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Oct 24, 2010 17:24

I have not read through this thread, but noticed you mention you have a problem with the Intel GPU. Perhaps you have the same problem as another user -- see the thread Sabayon desktop crashes frequently (randomly).
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Luposz » Sun Oct 24, 2010 17:44

Yep =/
I have exactly the same problem =S
And have done almost the same things that he did xD
D:
I did a fresh install again and I won't install the intel driver, the desktop will be slow, but no crashes :S
Last edited by Luposz on Sun Oct 24, 2010 20:48, edited 1 time in total.
Luposz
Young Hen

Postby magesha » Sun Oct 24, 2010 19:32

Thanks Fitz! I had just found the thread and was going to post saying "Hey I got the same problem" when guess what? I crashed! :roll: :lol: :lol: BTW, Luposz, I am a guy. Must be my nickname or how much I ramble :D

Anyways, in this bug report, https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=615649, it said that you can solve it by using 2.10.0 intel driver, which didn't work for me.

When you say you are not installing the intel driver, do you mean you are using the older version or vesa? I am guessing vesa, because the older version wouldn't start KDE for me.

Another solution there is a kernel patch that supposedly got into 2.6.35-r6. Did you try that? (Comment #30 and Comment#38 ) Not sure how to do the kernel upgrade, as what I have says linux-sabayon-2.6.35-r5 but guess I need 2.6.35-r6. Going to check in irc :)

Will report back!
magesha
Young Hen

Postby Luposz » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:54

Did a fresh install and didn't update any driver =3
I'm using the default drivers
Dunno how to look at it
But, I'm using the drivers that came with the 5.4 KDE DVD

And let me check those comments, and I tell you if that helps =3
Thanks a lot for your answer ^^

And sorry for take to long :S
School is... A disaster x_x
Luposz
Young Hen

Postby magesha » Thu Oct 28, 2010 13:16

Hi Luposz,

1. You can check which version of intel driver you have installed by:

Entropy/sulfur: In sulfur, hit "search" and type "intel" The package name is xf86-video-intel.
Or Portage CLI:
Code: Select all
# emerge --info xf86-video-intel

(# means run as root, ofc)

2. You can check which driver is being used by opening /etc/X11/xorg.conf by checking under the device section. Sample:

Code: Select all
Section "Device"

Identifier      "Intel 945G "
        Driver         "intel"

# Using the name of the output defined by the video driver plus the identifier of a
        #     monitor section, one associates a monitor section with an output by adding an
        #     option to the Device section in the following format:
        #     Option "Monitor-outputname" "monitor ID"

Option          "monitor-VGA" "foo"
        Option          "monitor-LVDS" "bar"
        #Option         "monitor-TMDS-1" "dvi"
EndSection

Other options here could be "vesa", "ati" or "nvidia". Hope that helps.

I haven't had much luck with installing the newer verison of the kernel. Compiling it always fails for me. It seems there is quite a bit to learn about genkernel etc before I can debug that part. In summary, I have three questions for you:

1. Are you running 32bit or 64bit version? I was first running the 32 bit and now switched to 64 bit. I am using it for a day and will report on whether is more stable than the 32bit version.
2. What driver and version you are running? I am currently running intel 2.13.0 which is running very spiffy but I am running the risk of random crashes.
3. What kernel version are you using? The one that comes with sabayon is 2.6.35-r5, but there is 2.6.35-r6 in the sabayon overlay but I haven't been successful in installing it so far (you can check my thread for the stuff I tried)

Cheers,
Magesha
magesha
Young Hen

Postby Luposz » Thu Oct 28, 2010 15:00

I'm using 64 bit version, and using the 2.12.0 intel driver
The kernel version is 2.6.35-r5.

Still having freeze when changing something in the System Settings menu :S

Hope you have some luck with that =3
Luposz
Young Hen

Postby magesha » Thu Oct 28, 2010 19:03

Luposz wrote:I'm using 64 bit version, and using the 2.12.0 intel driver
The kernel version is 2.6.35-r5.

Still having freeze when changing something in the System Settings menu :S

Hope you have some luck with that =3

wait a minute! When you say System Settings, do you mean System Settings in general or Desktop Effects in particular? I have attached two screenies: let me know if it is the first or the second..
Screenie 1: System Settings

Screenie 2: Desktop Effects

If it is happening only within Desktop Effects, that is another bug which has a simple workaround: Suspend the Desktop Effects before you make the change, change things and Resume it again. (Shift + left-alt + F12 for toggling it). Even if you get frozen, you can use the keystroke to toggle it and it should become unfrozen.

If it happens randomly whether you are in System settings or anywhere else, that is the bug I am trying to tackle; it's particularly annoying because there is no way to know when it will happen. One thing that can help you reduce its occurence is to disable "Blur" under System Settings > Desktop Settings > All Effects. According to KWin developer, that's where the drivers have a bug that can cause the problem.

BTW, updating intel driver to 2.13.0 has made my system much faster, and with blur disabled, I haven't had any crash so far. I will put my system through some more rigorous testing and keep you posted. If this works, I will guide you with the steps I took :)

Cheers,
Magesha
magesha
Young Hen

Postby Luposz » Thu Oct 28, 2010 21:42

Much faster?
=O!

Well... With me also happen randomly, but most of the time when I try to change something in the System Settings. Once happened when I was watching a movie... That was annoying.
I disabled all effects once, and happened anyway

I hope you have found a way to fix this *-*
You will be my hero =D
Luposz
Young Hen

PreviousNext

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers