Gnome or KDE?

Gnome
40%
KDE
60%

Total votes : 120

Re: POLL: Do you use Gnome or KDE?

Postby amoebios » Wed Aug 04, 2010 23:48

I prefer light-weight desktops, too. On Windows, i replaced the shell with Litestep or SharpEnviro, for example, or used an LCARS interface for a while. KDE just seems to be a good comprise of eye-candy and functionality. The integration of the Compiz effects in the WM works nice for me, whereas Emerald, when i use a different desktop + Compiz, often freezes when i switch themes. And as i already said; Gnome misses some functionality, like adjusting the interface elements. It has some great themes, so i'll be happy to switch, once said functionality is given. And i LOVE the Activities option of the Plasma workspace.
amoebios
Growing Hen

Postby urlwolf » Fri Aug 06, 2010 18:41

I just found something that, if true, would make move away from KDE:
Ooh, it's bitch-about-how-software-is-shit time again!

Seriously, it's hard to expect stability from any software project -- free or proprietary -- that can't be bothered to commit to basic practices like test-first development, and implementing that with automated test frameworks. I, at least, couldn't find any comprehensive test suite for Konsole; http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdebase/.. is the best I came across. (You can probably get away with no automated testing if you're the sole genius on a project, but that describes approximately 0% of all software engineers.)

Is it really true there's no test suite for konsole? and other KDE things? That's scary as hell...
urlwolf
Simple Hen

Postby Thev00d00 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 18:56

urlwolf wrote:Is it really true there's no test suite for konsole? and other KDE things? That's scary as hell...

Probably not, but is there a test suite for the gnome stuff either? Nope. Does it matter when you have people running trunk builds? not really.
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Postby wolfden » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:56

Q&A is tough as it requires people doing it and when you can't get people to test/report/submit fixes, what can you do? Stuff would be stuck in testing forever as the people scream for the latest is greatest package.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby amoebios » Fri Aug 13, 2010 14:34

urlwolf wrote:I just found something that, if true, would make move away from KDE:
Ooh, it's bitch-about-how-software-is-shit time again!

Seriously, it's hard to expect stability from any software project -- free or proprietary -- that can't be bothered to commit to basic practices like test-first development, and implementing that with automated test frameworks. I, at least, couldn't find any comprehensive test suite for Konsole; http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdebase/.. is the best I came across. (You can probably get away with no automated testing if you're the sole genius on a project, but that describes approximately 0% of all software engineers.)

Is it really true there's no test suite for konsole? and other KDE things? That's scary as hell...

What i find more scary is a rumour i heard about a major developer saying "people don't want freedom of choice".
amoebios
Growing Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Aug 19, 2010 22:00

No surprise on the KDE needing more and I would assume turning on Kwin or Compiz is gonna make DE's even more hungry
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby amoebios » Thu Aug 19, 2010 22:31

Doesn't KDE enable Kwin by default? i think i will do a test myself when i get my system fixed, IF i get it fixed....
Last edited by amoebios on Sun Aug 22, 2010 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
amoebios
Growing Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Aug 19, 2010 22:38

yea, but a lot of the effects you need to go in and turn on, same for C-F, turning on effects
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Tinymeat » Fri Aug 27, 2010 14:34

From the beginning I'm into GNOME because i prefer GTK-programs.

But I'm very anxious about this new "Gnome-Shell" thing :pale: - reminds me of Plasma in KDE.
I hope there will be an option in GNOME 3.0 to stay with the old Gnome interface. :)
[Dualboot: Debian unstable - Sabayon 5.3] [Kernel 2.6.35 (i686)] [Gnome 2.30]
Tinymeat
Baby Hen

PreviousNext

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers