kdm no longer operating...

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

kdm no longer operating...

Postby hulkyboy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:30

This is a fairly fresh installation of Sabayon 4.2 64 KDE.

I noticed a few problems, where the system settings would display a blank window in KDE and also Konqueror was permantly stuck on the fsview plugin, and crashed everytime I selected configure on the menu.

I tried reinstalling the system settings package, and the konqueror package to no avail.

Next, I killed off any .kde* folders in home, expecting defaults to be applied on next startup...

Thing is, on starting again, I get this...

"which: no kdm in (/lib64/rc/sbin:/lib64/rc/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/opt/bin:/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.3.2:/opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.03/bin:/opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.03/jre/bin:/usr/qt/3/bin)
* Setting up xdm..."

I have no idea what's happened to kdm (it IS present in the kde4.2 bin dir, and it IS present in /etc/conf.d/xdm). I am presuming that some symlink has been destroyed someplace, but no idea where...

anybody have any idea?
hulkyboy
Baby Hen

Re: kdm no longer operating...

Postby hulkyboy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 22:51

It would seem $KDEDIR is no longer defined. If I do define it, then I get "No greeter widget plugin loaded. Check configuration." from kdm. It then dies.

No idea what's happened, but I don't want to reinstall only for it to happen again...
hulkyboy
Baby Hen

Re: kdm no longer operating... (Kinda Fixed)

Postby hulkyboy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 22:23

Ok, I got it working again... None the wiser as to what caused it in the first place, and not entirely sure it's correct...

reemerged kdebase-meta

Still had an issue with a kdm theme not being found, and that led to the discovery that there appear to be multiple locations for these...

I've got
/usr/kde/4.2/share/apps/kdm/themes
and
/usr/share/apps/kdm/themes

Is this normal? I had to symlink an existing theme (Glassified) to get kdm to load.

May user path is now
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/opt/bin:/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.3.2:/opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.03/bin:/opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.03/jre/bin:/usr/kde/3.5/bin:/usr/qt/3/bin:/usr/games/bin
which is different from the Live cd one, and also $KDEDIR is still undefined...

Main thing is, I can at least get into the thing...
hulkyboy
Baby Hen

Re: kdm no longer operating...

Postby Thev00d00 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 14:24

This issue has been noted before, please raise a bug on bugzilla FAO Joost Ruis, everything ebuild wise is fine. :D
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers