Sharecropper

Re: equo install nvidida-drivers killed gdm

Post by wolfden » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:19

its not a kernel issue, if it worked before it should work now

doom0r
Young Hen

Post by doom0r » Mon Oct 13, 2008 19:08

If i may interject, it sounds as though the crash while installing the nvidia drivers may have left something around. That error message is usually from a mismatched version from what I've seen. I would suggest cleaning the nvidia files out and starting anew or at the very least, check which module is being loaded. It's possible that the old module that was installed before the abruptly exited install of the latest version is sitting around and is the version that is being loaded to no avail.

To recap, invalid module format on a good compile is a wrong version module. Clean, check symlinks, follow symlinks and check for leftovers, install anew.

wolfden
Sharecropper

Post by wolfden » Mon Oct 13, 2008 21:59

during the install of nvidia-drivers he should of been unable to install em as a error would of came out saying that there is a version mismatch. I don't recall reading about a crash during install, but I may have missed that part.

There is a new nvidia drive in portage now also. I thought about mentioning to use portage and install the nvidia-drivers, but regardless, if it's mismatch problem, it should fail to install period, unless entropy is different.

Code: Select all

emerge --sync

emerge nvidia-drivers
if you have kernel mismatch

# emerge -C nvidia-drivers; rmmod nvidia; rm /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/video/nvidia.ko; rm /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia -rf; emerge nvidia-drivers; eselect opengl set nvidia; reboot
I guess this is one of those cases where something so easy just goes to hell in a handbasket

I should mention also kernel 2.6.27 gentoo-sources is out too, portage of course

lleb
Growing Hen

Post by lleb » Mon Oct 13, 2008 23:04

wolfden wrote:during the install of nvidia-drivers he should of been unable to install em as a error would of came out saying that there is a version mismatch. I don't recall reading about a crash during install, but I may have missed that part.

There is a new nvidia drive in portage now also. I thought about mentioning to use portage and install the nvidia-drivers, but regardless, if it's mismatch problem, it should fail to install period, unless entropy is different.

emerge --sync

emerge nvidia-drivers
if you have kernel mismatch

# emerge -C nvidia-drivers; rmmod nvidia; rm /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/video/nvidia.ko; rm /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia -rf; emerge nvidia-drivers; eselect opengl set nvidia; reboot
I guess this is one of those cases where something so easy just goes to hell in a handbasket

I should mention also kernel 2.6.27 gentoo-sources is out too, portage of course
same with equo?
Sun State Martial Arts "The Family Training Center!"
worlds worst speller

kodiakmax
Advanced Hen

Post by kodiakmax » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:02

I had a similiar issue i just fixed. Mine was a fresh install of 3.5 I let Spritz update 649 packages. Everything went smoothly. It also installed a new kernel for me. I went load the new kernel and bam no X. The original kernel still worked just fine. Whenever I tried to startx I would get a nvidia module not found error. Here's what I did.

Check which kernel you are booting into

uname -r
Check where /usr/src/linux symlink points to

eselect kernel list
Is the kernel you are booting into selected?
If not

eselect kernel set 1
Where 1is the number of the correct kernel

emerge drivers

emerge nvidia-drivers
read text output on screen it tells you what commands to run. The following is what I had to do

depmod
modprobe -r nvidia
finally set opengl to use nvidia

eselect opengl set nvidia
maybe this will help some.
If you check the wiki, use the search function and google you can find the answer to most of your questions.

Remember to mark your thread [Solved] if your issue is fixed.