Interface and Themes

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Interface and Themes

Postby Sythyss » Wed May 07, 2008 23:12

Alrighty, so I'm new to sabayon...just wanted to ask a few initial questions/concerns.

1) The interface is very slow/sluggish. I think it's because of all the 3D stuff that's installed by default. How to go turning that down? I don't want to turn compiz completely off...I had it installed on other distros and it worked fine, but I guess this has a lot of extra stuff I didn't enable before.

2) The theme selection is different. I went to install my normal GTK theme I use, but it doesn't really work. it changes some things, but others it completely ignores (like text color) and looks weird. Is it clashing with some other theme manager?

3) Still haven't figured out how to install my normal mouse theme as well...

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: oh, also, I can't figure out how to get rid of the computer, home oflder, etc. on teh desktop. I used to jsut use the configuration editor to do it, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on sabayon.
Sythyss
Baby Hen

Re: Interface and Themes

Postby chickpea » Wed May 07, 2008 23:24

Sythyss wrote:Alrighty, so I'm new to sabayon...just wanted to ask a few initial questions/concerns.

1) The interface is very slow/sluggish. I think it's because of all the 3D stuff that's installed by default. How to go turning that down? I don't want to turn compiz completely off...I had it installed on other distros and it worked fine, but I guess this has a lot of extra stuff I didn't enable before.

2) The theme selection is different. I went to install my normal GTK theme I use, but it doesn't really work. it changes some things, but others it completely ignores (like text color) and looks weird. Is it clashing with some other theme manager?

3) Still haven't figured out how to install my normal mouse theme as well...

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: oh, also, I can't figure out how to get rid of the computer, home oflder, etc. on teh desktop. I used to jsut use the configuration editor to do it, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on sabayon.

1. Run "top" find out what's eating up your memory and kill it. Also post the output of lspci here so we can tell you what's going on. also post what version of your video drivers you have installed. You can disable compiz by right clicking on the compiz icon, then choosing "Window Manager" and choosing "kwin". That disables 3D effects (of course).

2. Compiz uses Emerald as its theme manager. Use that to change your themes. Also control center will permit you to change fonts/title bars, etc.

3. Forgot how to do this, but I think it's in control center.

Continuation, well, try clicking on them and hitting the "delete" key.
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby Sythyss » Wed May 07, 2008 23:28

holy crap...a process called "beagled-helper" is eating up like 90% of my CPU....lol. I know how to kill it, but how'd I stop it from starting up every time I boot?
Sythyss
Baby Hen

Postby Sythyss » Wed May 07, 2008 23:30

ok, this is weird...I can't kill it. If I type 'kill <process #>', there are no errors, it appears to work, but it's still there =/
Sythyss
Baby Hen

Postby chickpea » Wed May 07, 2008 23:36

Yup that's beagle for ya! Beagle is a BEAST. If you don't know what beagle is, it's a file search engine that crawls your files and sucks enormous amounts of CPU for no reason. I don't remember how to get rid of it. Try killing it as root. Root usually can kill things pretty effectively :D

I never use beagle myself cause it sucks and the search bar in kicker is good enough for me.

If all else fails just

Code: Select all
emerge -C beagle
and restart :twisted: That'll get rid of the bugger.

EDIT: you may need to kill beagled first before you can kill beagle-helper. Also, I would check and remove any beagle stuff from /home/$USER/.kde3.5/Autostart/
and look at beagles configs in
/home/$USER/.kde3.5/shared/Apps (I think, look around in .kde3.5 to find all the .*rc files that are the configuration files for kde.
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby Sythyss » Wed May 07, 2008 23:41

and...now it's being weird again. beagled-helper went back down to taking no CPU up, and onw's there's a process called "top" taking up all the CPU, even though I don't have a terminal open runnign it =/.

EDIT: that was fixed fine witha kill. I'll try ot get rid of beagle then and restart
Sythyss
Baby Hen

Postby Sythyss » Wed May 07, 2008 23:51

oh, and abot the themes. emrerald only seems to affect hte window title bars...not much else. Isn't there a way to use my old GTK theme? and also...wher eis this "control center" you speak of? I don't see it in admin or preferences
Sythyss
Baby Hen

Postby chickpea » Wed May 07, 2008 23:59

Klick on the kicker, and in favorites there should be a "control center" icon. It is also under system too I think. Also, you can just type control center in the search bar of the kicker.
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby Sythyss » Thu May 08, 2008 0:09

klicker? favorites? sorry...not sure where these are suposped to be
Sythyss
Baby Hen

Postby Sythyss » Thu May 08, 2008 0:25

I'm using ngome...not KDE
Sythyss
Baby Hen