Making changes to xorg.conf if you use ATI fglrx driver

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Making changes to xorg.conf if you use ATI fglrx driver

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Apr 27, 2008 14:40

I'm posting this just in case you are not aware that, in order for manual changes to the xorg.conf file to take effect, you have to do something additional. Just changing the xorg.conf file (by editing it or copying another version of the file over it) and rebooting will have no effect.

The parameters used by the fglrx driver, as well as the settings made by the amdccle (ATI Catalyst Control Center), are stored in a database file named amdpcsdb (if you type "locate amdpcsdb" at a command prompt you'll see it's in the directory /etc/ati/). When you boot up, fglrx loads whatever is recorded in amdpcsdb, and so it will ignore any changes you just made manually to the xorg.conf file.

So, if you edit xorg.conf by hand, you must use the aticonfig tool to register the changes you made:

Code: Select all
aticonfig --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf --tls=1

You need to do this every time you make a change by hand to your xorg.conf file.

My thanks to djdoo over on the Compiz-Fusion forums for pointing this out:

http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?t=6794
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Making changes to xorg.conf if you use ATI fglrx driver

Postby wolfden » Sun Apr 27, 2008 20:24

should this be added to
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=12438

?
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: Making changes to xorg.conf if you use ATI fglrx driver

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Apr 27, 2008 21:06

In theory yes, but I think that thread needs revising anyway, as the package versions have changed and also the latest ATI fglrx driver works with xorg-server-1.4 and xorg-x11-7.3 and supports AIGLX and Compiz-Fusion (see the following thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=12650&start=20).

As it happens, I didn't have to edit xorg.conf to get the fglrx driver working with AIGLX and Compiz-Fusion for my ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 GPU (but perhaps people with other models of ATI GPU do have to). A good HowTo on modifying xorg.conf to work with the fglrx driver and AIGLX/Compiz-Fusion is the one by djdoo, a forum moderator on the Compiz-Fusion forums (see the link in my earlier post). Even though AIGLX and Compiz-Fusion were working fine on my laptop, I applied some of the tweaks recommended by djdoo and they seem to have made things slightly smoother (a bit difficult to tell, as graphics were already very good on my laptop). It's a very useful page to bookmark.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers