Fade out desktop behind an active window?

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Fade out desktop behind an active window?

Postby fenris » Mon Apr 07, 2008 20:22

Is there a plugin like that?
fenris
Young Hen

Re: Fade out desktop behind an active window?

Postby xlnagla » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:43

ADD plugin for compiz should do something like that, but usually maximizing will do just as well.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby fenris » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:34

:lol: Thanks! Good name on the plugin. ..I was looking for something that would fade out the non- active windows after, say, ten seconds. And then fade back when you get a mail, or something happens on the calendar, etc. That would be neat when staring blankly at an irc- screen, or when playing psx- emus, and so on.. no? :)
fenris
Young Hen

Postby xlnagla » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:30

any new actions on most windows will cause them to become active, so ADD should work.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby fenris » Tue Apr 08, 2008 14:27

Only problem is, it actively fades between whatever is in focus, as soon as you switch. At the same unchangeable speed, etc. While making it impossible to click or select something in the gray areas before the fade is complete. I don't know.. it doesn't help me calm down or focus.. (exactly like the translation- attempt says, lol).
fenris
Young Hen

Postby xlnagla » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:30

if you're switching between windows quickly enough for that to matter, chances are you're not going to get much out of the plugin anyway - the idea is it allows you to stay focused on one window for a relativley large amount of time - also, you can toggle the ADD on and off using a defined key combination - if, for example, you were doing some computations and recording the answers in a separate document ADD isn't going to help much, because you're going to need to switch between windows a lot. Also, check if alt-tab still works with ADD on, maybe that'll avoid the greyout time.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby fenris » Sat Apr 26, 2008 19:15

Thanks. :) No it fades the same way based on the focus. It waits until something requests focus, and then plays the sequence with the fade. But it works nicely to switch it on once in a while.

..but I can't help but think that if I had ADD, I'd still want the entire screen to light up back to normal on some event (..or maybe just the status- bar, or the task- bar could light up? Perhaps, in the case of some alert - just the alert, or the new object, and the desktop could stay greyed out?) - and then it could fade back just to the working area after things disappear again... does that make sense..? I.e., you could list types of windows that would cause a light- up, and others that just would pass off silently, like ticking logs and so on (I mean, it sure would be comfortable that way, wouldn't it. :) ).
fenris
Young Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers