Compiz and video playback

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Compiz and video playback

Postby pglass » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:48

Hi!
I have enabled the compiz-fusion effects, and they look great.. however, each time I try to watch a video, the video player crashes (no matter which video player I try).
I never had that sort of problems with dear old beryl... I have tried different workarounds to this problem, and I have even made some video players not to crash, but the watching experience is always lousy (video plays real slow, etc). Must I assume that compiz-fusion is really useless, get rid of it and install an older beryl version? any thoughts?
pglass
Baby Hen

Re: Compiz and video playback

Postby Stupot » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:21

What version of Sabayon are you using? What version of compiz? What video card do you have? What video drivers do you have? What version of what video players are you using?

I use compiz and it works just as good as beryl did (with more features). Perhaps your issue just lies in what versions of what you are using.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby pglass » Sat Mar 01, 2008 17:52

Well, I use Sabayon 3.4F/compiz-fusion 0.5.2 and all the video players that come pre-installed with this Sabayon version (mplayer, kaffeine, noatun, etc, etc)... I used to have Sabayon 3.3 and beryl, and it worked perfect. I have seen complaints regarding this subject with compiz-fusion in many forums, so I supose there's something that changed from the previous versions of beryl that just doesn't work in some of our machines...
pglass
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Sat Mar 01, 2008 18:14

What video card do you have and what drivers are you using for it?
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers