every other line blacked out on window lists

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

every other line blacked out on window lists

Postby dattaway » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:12

I have this problem over several gentoo and sabayon installs. Here's a screenshot:

http://www.dattaway.us/pan.jpg

Every other line is almost completely blacked out. This seems to happen with all gnome applications under the KDE window manager. The GTK Styles and Fonts menu doesn't seem to change things. So I try to change the colors under the KDE Control Center, Appearance and Themes, Colors without progress.

Searching for window lists and such makes me feel alone with this problem. Anyone else had this problem or have hints where to look?
dattaway
Baby Hen

Re: every other line blacked out on window lists

Postby chickpea » Wed Feb 06, 2008 16:31

now that is strange. Why don't you tell us something about your system. post the output of the following:

uname -a

lscpi

emerge -s xorg-server (or if you have eix installed use that)

tell us what video drivers you are using as well and what version of kde you are using.
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby dattaway » Wed Feb 06, 2008 17:49

I checked those out and I see a problem. Its a long list of blocked packages if I try to emerge KDE. Its a fresh install from yesterday, but it may have something to do with my sync'ing the portage tree, overlay, and doing a genkernel. This is the output:

http://dattaway.us/system.txt
dattaway
Baby Hen

Postby chickpea » Wed Feb 06, 2008 19:16

looks like you are running a fresh install of 3.4f no?

That is indeed strange. I am afraid I won't be of much more help. It seems you know your way around linux/gentoo from your post, if this is the case, you may try world updating, or if that is too much of a headache, use the 3.5 loop 1 dvd to update and see if that solves your issue. It seems to me, although this is just an uninformed hunch, that something between your video drivers (intel) and xorg-server-1.3 are clashing. I assume of course that because of the genkernel, you ran a module-rebuild rebuild. That may have thrown your video drivers and xorg-server out of wack somehow. (Then again, I could be completely talking out of my as*). Good luck, hope someone else has better ideas for you. Although, it looks like your kde blocks may also be the cause of your headaches. Not really sure why you have so many kde blocks.
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby dattaway » Mon Feb 11, 2008 19:47

I found my problem. I had ~x86 in my make.conf. Now I am going to have fun cleaning up the destruction I made, if its possible.
dattaway
Baby Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers