Nvidia problem re:3D desktop (n00b)

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Nvidia problem re:3D desktop (n00b)

Postby Sproutus » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:30

Hi All,

firstly, I have searched the forum, wiki and the net, and cant find anything about my problem. This is possibly because I'm a total n00b and dont really understand what is going on. I'm trying though!

ok, my problem is this - my cube desktop stopped working. I'm running Sabayon 3.4f. I've gone back to the defaults in the compiz fusion, and still not working. After some searching around, I think it might be because I dont have the right drivers working. So I've set out to rectify this...

I've followed the instructions here http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php? ... in_Sabayon up to step 3. Now I am stumped.

I've run 'emerge nvidia' and it went through and did its thing, right to the end where I read '/lib/modules/2.6.22-Sabayon/build/System.map not found.' I'm then told to get this going before doing anything else.

So my problem is that I dont know what this means - do I have to make a new file and insert it, or is there something I need to download and insert?

Sorry to all you great folks if this is already out there - I'm not really sure what I am doing, so I dont know how to refine my search to find it. Any help appreciated! I've been using Sabayon since tuesday and I love it! Learning is heaps fun, and this linux business is soooooo much better than windows!

Cheers :D
Sproutus
Baby Hen

Re: Nvidia problem re:3D desktop (n00b)

Postby chickpea » Fri Feb 01, 2008 17:26

Welcome. I can't tell you exactly what is wrong because I don't precisely know what the problem is. You need to post (like copying and pasting) the error from the terminal (the full error, not just that little snippet) so that we can tell what is going on. First post the output of
Code: Select all
uname -a
, so we can see what kernel you are using. Then the output of
eselect kernel list

this will show us what kernel you have symlinked to. It is very strange that system.map does not exist. Did you verify your dvd before installing? You may need to recompile your kernel using genkernel so that that file gets reinstalled. There is a guide to do that in the wiki. Additionally, I wonder why compiz "just stopped working" what were you doing before it "just stopped working". Generally when n00bs have something "just stop working" its because they only updated some really important programs that they shouldn't have which has since borked their system. Not pointing fingers, but in my experience things do not "just stop working" unless the user "just screwed their system".

Once you have reinstalled your kernel, you will want to follow the compiz upgrade guide here:
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=9882
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby Sproutus » Fri Feb 01, 2008 17:49

Hi chickpea,

Firstly, many thanks for the response :D

Secondly, the answer to your first command is

Linux localhost 2.6.22-sabayon #1 SMP Sun Sep 2 22:23:05 UTC 2007 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Answer to second command is

Available kernel symlink targets:
[1] linux-2.6.22-sabayon *

I did check the md5sum before burning (ok), and burnt at the lowest speed possible (with burn verify). If there is something else I must do to verify, please let me know now before we go on, and I will do so. I am very aware of wasting peoples time.

Having tried to replicate the error (cant get it to show in history, sorry) of course I cannot replicate the wording - having run 'emerge nvidia' again to try get the exact wording (as I cant remember the exact second line) I receive this

bash-3.2# emerge nvidia
Calculating dependencies \
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "nvidia".

Which I suppose leads to further questions - like omg have I broken something roolly bad???

To complicate matters, yes I probably borked my system. Happy to do a reinstall if I have really mashed it, as I have learnt sooooo much in the last 4 days. To answer the borking question, I have tried to do all sorts of things, including (and not finishing cos I am trying to work out another problem!!) half-arsed install of apache if that might be something.

I've also gone and played around with just about everything I've found that clicks, and no way I could go back and replicate to undo what I've done....

Any suggestions (or light flamings, I really do want to learn!) would be dearly appreciated!!

ETA: should I do a recompile of the kernel in this case? That sounds sort of serious...!
Sproutus
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Fri Feb 01, 2008 18:00

it's emerge nvidia-drivers
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby WarraWarra » Fri Feb 01, 2008 18:06

What could work is to update some stuff first.

# emerge --sync ; emerge portage ; emerge layman ; layman -S

Then
# emerge -s nvidia

Now using the correct name:
# emerge -p nvidia********

replacing the ***** with correct name.

This will do a pretend install / fake install and list problems with dependancy's usually in red.

# emerge --unmerge ****red item name here*****
this should uninstall the red problems.
or
# emerge -u ****red item name here****
-u = update to newer likely not problematic version of red problem.

Then

# emerge -p nvidia********
to pretend again.

Now install if no red with
# emerge nvidia********

again replacing **** with correct names.

Then follow the compiz update guide posted above.

Lxnay posted to one of my nvidia bugs a quick fix that also works think for 3.4f likely , just search the forum if above guide fails as this post mentioned worked for me in the past.

Hope this helps.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby Sproutus » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:45

Hi Warra Warra,

Thank you for your help :D

I am however, running up against my original problem, which is there is no /lib/modules/2.6.22-sabayon/build/System.map

After following all your steps (doing all the updates first), I was able to 'emerge nvidia-cg-toolkit' and 'emerge nvidia-settings' with no problems, but when doing 'emerge nvidia-drivers', I run into my problem. Not sure if it is important, but there were no red errors in any of them when running 'emerge -p nvidia****'. Here is the exact copy/paste of the terminal:

* Messages for package x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-169.09-r10:

* /lib/modules/2.6.22-sabayon/build/System.map not found.
* You must manually update the kernel module dependencies using depmod.
* To use the Nvidia GLX, run "eselect opengl set nvidia"
* nVidia has requested that any bug reports submitted have the
* output of /usr/bin/nvidia-bug-report.sh included.
* To work with compiz, you must enable the AddARGBGLXVisuals option.
* If you are having resolution problems, try disabling DynamicTwinView.
* GNU info directory index is up-to-date.
* IMPORTANT: 1 config files in '/etc' need updating.
* See the CONFIGURATION FILES section of the emerge
* man page to learn how to update config files.

My issue is that obviously I dont know enough about linux to know how to 'manually update the kernel module dependencies using depmod.' I have searched various linux guides about using depmod, but I'll be blowed if I can find the command that I need to make this happen. I've also tried playing around with insmod, again with no results, as I dont know what I'm doing (n00b, no joke). From what I can gather, the system.map should be created already, as it is a map of the kernel? Does this mean that I have a dodgy kernel, or do I just need to download the system.map from somewhere?

I have run 'etc-update' which made an auto update, but I have not done anything further. Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Sproutus
Baby Hen

Postby chickpea » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:00

so did you run depmod?
#depmod

that's what portage is telling you to do.
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby Sproutus » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:29

chickpea wrote:so did you run depmod?
#depmod

that's what portage is telling you to do.

Ok, I did do that, and it just took me to the next prompt tine. I figured it hadnt done anything as there was no message. I will run everything again and see what happens. If it finds the same error, I am tempted to do a fresh install - at least I will have a better idea what I am doing with everything and it will be a nice clean slate!

Thanks for your help :)
Sproutus
Baby Hen

Postby Sproutus » Wed Feb 06, 2008 17:03

Just a quick update on my 'issue'.

Decided in the end to do a fresh install, formatted the drive and started again. 3D desktop worked on the DVD, didnt when booting from the harddrive install. Ok, so I followed the guide for setting up the nvidia drives, and after a false start, arrived at a new spanky 3D desktop.

Now, being that I cant help pressing buttons and changing settings, I went through and changed a whole bunch of things and ended up with a non-working 3D desktop.

After reverting everything to do with the cube and still no luck, I thought to change back the 'number of desktops' setting to the default. I had changed this as I'd read that by changing 'horizontal virtual size' to 1 and the 'number of desktops' to 4, you could get the top bar desktop icons to work properly.

Changing this back to the default (of 1:4, rather than 4:1) I now have a working 3D cube. Hope this makes sense, and saves someone else spending days on this problem. I'd say if I had done this before the fresh install, I might have fixed it anyway!

Cheers :D
Sproutus
Baby Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers