python-updater

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

python-updater

Postby edi_meister » Thu Jan 17, 2008 16:04

It all started with an emerge of compiz-fusion. The --pretend showed now conflicts, so I updated it. Then it had borderless windows, as emerald failed to start. It wanted libwnck-1.so.18; I now had a higher version installed. I ran revdep-rebuild, and it showed that library in many cases. Searching other forum messages, it looked like I needed to run python-updater.

I tried running python-updater -i, and it was unable to run: something about no version to base it on. So I managed to run python-updater with no options. But it says this:

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "gnome-extra/policykit-gnome" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- gnome-extra/policykit-gnome-0.6 (masked by: package.mask)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Saleem Abdulrasool <[email protected]> (23 Nov 2007)
# These might break automounting, so keep them masked for now.

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or
refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
(dependency required by "gnome-base/gnome-mount-0.7" [ebuild])

After that, I was able to run python-updater -i, but it has the same results. I did manager to emerge emerald and get an update, and the fusion-icon sort of worked, but it crashed the next time I ran it. Although I run kde, it appears that most of gnome expects that libwnck-1.so.18. emerge of gnome also has bad results.

I'm having a hard time here; it looks like when I emerge something for an update, it breaks other things. There must be a correct way to do a general system update.

Thanks,

Andrew
edi_meister
Baby Hen

Re: python-updater

Postby wolfden » Thu Jan 17, 2008 16:21

updating is easy if you understand portage

did you go to the gentoo handbook like it said and read about masked?

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Masked

you are gonna have to unmask, but before u do, make sure you have your portage and laymans synced. They unmasked that stuff already in portage I thought.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers