KDE4, Equo, and KDM

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

KDE4, Equo, and KDM

Postby chickpea » Sun Jan 13, 2008 21:40

well I will try to not post a rambling incoherent post here, but I have several things to report

1. Equo saved my world. I have had REAL problems with KDE3.5.8 ever since world upgrading in November, just a lot of crap never worked right for me in 3.5.8 (including kdm). Until, when I wanted to run kde4 I uninstalled kde3.5.8 (due to another mistake on my part). Well kde3.97.0 is extremely unstable for me for whatever reason (phonon always crashes at bootup). So I used equo to install 3.5.8 backin. IT WORKED AWESOMELY! In fact, now 3.5.8 works better than it ever did before (like perfectly). I am a BIG convert to equo now.

2. Due to the above, after installing kde3.5.8 again, I changed back to kdm from gdm, but now since in uninstalled all of kde3.5.8 I get an error (non-fatal) at the kdm login screen that it cannot find /usr/share/kde3.5/some.sabayon.cfg Probably a result of uninstalling kde3.5.8 before. So how can I either reinstall that graphic such that it loads at kdm login, or remove the error, as I really don't care what login screen I have?

Thanks

Chickpea
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Re: KDE4, Equo, and KDM

Postby wolfden » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:11

hmmmm missed this thread:

First of all - you don't have to uninstall KDE 3.5.x to get KDE4, it installs along side it so you will have both.

I'm not getting what you directing at for error with KDM, but have tried to just reinstall KDM? I would also make sure you have the kdmtheme, kdmtheme is not in equo. With kdmtheme you can than select a different kdm theme and hopefully that will fix that. I don't know if you will be able to use the Sabayon one or not. Personally I prefer the GDM and even made my own login
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: KDE4, Equo, and KDM

Postby chickpea » Wed Jan 16, 2008 16:16

Thanks Wolfden, yes I know that you don't need to uninstall 3.5.8 to install 3.97.0 via equo. But equo was throwing strange errors and I was fed up with my 3.5.8 anyway due the problems I noted in my first post. So (as I am not new to this whole linux thing) I just decided to scrap it and I can always remerge kde3.5.8 if I wanted it back, no biggie.

Ahh, kdmtheme, may be what is causing this. I'll try and emerge it in. See if that solves the kdm issue. I don't really care for the Sabayon branding, so it won't really bother me if I can't get it. I just don't want to have the extra step of hitting ok when my error appears at kdm login. I tried adjusting kdm through the kde control center and I can change the background, but kdm still seems to want that graphic. Not sure how to get rid of it. Gdm, does not give me the error, although I like kdm better (for no good reason other than I am using kde and just like the symmetry of using kdm with kde, I know dorky).
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers