Keyboard freezes when Compiz starts

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Keyboard freezes when Compiz starts

Postby edi_meister » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:28

I have an older machine that can run Sabayon 32-bit. It has a 3dfx Voodoo5 that it recognizes and can use AIGLX. I can start the compiz fusion icon. It has a 3.4f mini edition installed on it.

But, the keyboard freezes. The mouse works fine. The keyboard hangs.

If I right click the compiz icon and choose the kwin window manager, the keyboard works. If I then return to compiz the same way, the keyboard works for a while, but tends to hang readily. This is a basic usb wired keyboard.

Another small issue is that when compiz runs, there are no window decorations. Emerald is there, but doesn't seem to be decorating the frames. I noticed recently that there is a compiz option to include window decorations; I suppose it is disabled by default on this installation. I haven't had a chance to check this yet.

Any thoughts on the keyboard?

Andrew
edi_meister
Baby Hen

Re: Keyboard freezes when Compiz starts

Postby wolfden » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:27

Have you looked around the compiz forum to see if anyone else is using that card and having same issues? I have a voodoo3 card that I was still using up to a year ago, good card for their time.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: Keyboard freezes when Compiz starts

Postby gem14 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 16:45

I have the exact same problem. However, my keyboard never hangs. It just becomes disabled when I use Compiz as my window manager. When I switch back to KWin it works fine. Also, I am unable to use right-click when using compiz.
Here is the error I get when trying to run it in terminal:

* Starting Compiz
... executing: compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp --indirect-rendering
compiz (core) - Error: Another window manager is already running on screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0

I am also posting over at the CF forum. Hopefully someone will have a solution. I really miss the eye candy.
gem14
Baby Hen

Re: Keyboard freezes when Compiz starts (Solution found!)

Postby gem14 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 0:58

someone on the CF board gave a solution that worked for me. It looks like CF doesn't like it when you have show icons on desktops disabled. So they suggested I turn it on. I did, rebooted and now CF is back in full affect. I hope this works for anyone else having the same problem!
gem14
Baby Hen

Return to 3D Desktops and Window Managers