How to connect to Wifi from the command-line?

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

How to connect to Wifi from the command-line?

Postby fusion809 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:31

Hi,

I have a HP Envy 17 laptop with a Broadcom chip, which I have installed the necessary drivers for but I can't seem to get my X server to start (see this previous question of mine for why I can't seem to start my X server) so I need a command-line means of connecting to the Wifi. On Arch Linux I would use:

Code: Select all
wifi-menu -o

to generate a Wifi profile and then connect to this profile using:

netctl start <PROFILE>

On Sabayon Linux neither netctl nor wifi-menu commands are available from what I can tell (unless there's some package I'm missing that provides these commands).

Thanks for your time,
Brenton
Last edited by fusion809 on Wed Aug 03, 2016 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
Brenton Horne
Favourite distros: Arch Linux, Fedora, openSUSE, Sabayon Linux and Ubuntu.
Usernames: Fuse809 (Wikimedia), fusion809 (RuneScape), Brenton (Sabayon Wiki) and fusion809 (Gentoo Wiki).
My Blog on Sabayon | Google+
fusion809
Growing Hen

Re: How to connect to Wifi from the command-line?

Postby mudler » Wed Aug 03, 2016 19:47

use nmtui
mudler
Simple Hen

Postby fusion809 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 20:21

Ah thanks, nmtui does seem like a good option. Although now I've noticed yet another issue, my Sabayon install does not seem to be connecting to the Wi-Fi due to a firmware issue. Or at least, nmtui is not automatically detecting the Wi-Fi networks available, like I assume it's meant to. I have installed the @wireless set (with
equo i @wireless
ofc) and sabayon-sources (as I assume to install the firmware I will need the kernel sources). I have even tried re-installing b43-firmware and broadcom-sta after installing sabayon-sources in case it's necessary for a DKMS-type install of the Broadcom firmware, still no Wi-Fi. So what am I missing? I have looked at the Gentoo Wiki's wifi article (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wifi) hoping it would mention a package I'm missing but it doesn't seem to, as all it talks about are kernel options required for Wi-Fi networking.
Last edited by fusion809 on Wed Aug 03, 2016 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
Brenton Horne
Usernames: Fuse809 (Wikimedia), fusion809 (RuneScape), Brenton (Sabayon Wiki) and fusion809 (Gentoo Wiki).
fusion809
Growing Hen

Postby fusion809 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 20:43

If relevant whenever I reboot systemd complains that loading systemd-modules-load.service has failed. journalctl -xe | grep systemd-modules reveals:

Aug 03 19:28:57 fusion809-pc systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Aug 03 19:28:57 fusion809-pc systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Unit entered failed state.
Aug 03 19:28:57 fusion809-pc systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Aug 03 19:28:57 fusion809-pc systemd-modules-load[1744]: Failed to find module 'zfs'
-- Subject: Unit systemd-modules-load.service has begun start-up
-- Unit systemd-modules-load.service has begun starting up.
Aug 03 19:31:19 fusion809-pc systemd-modules-load[2057]: Failed to find module 'zfs'
Aug 03 19:31:19 fusion809-pc systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
-- Subject: Unit systemd-modules-load.service has failed
-- Unit systemd-modules-load.service has failed.
Aug 03 19:31:19 fusion809-pc systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Unit entered failed state.
Aug 03 19:31:19 fusion809-pc systemd[1]: systemd-modules-load.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

and yes zfs is installed, so I don't understand why I am getting this error.
Brenton Horne
fusion809
Growing Hen

Postby mudler » Thu Aug 04, 2016 17:41

Post some informations about your wifi card, if it's broadcom to try broadcom-wl you need to blacklist the b43 in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and enable wl back (it's written in the comments of the file.
mudler
Simple Hen

Postby sabayonino » Thu Aug 04, 2016 18:27

He is trying to install sabayon from tarball (see this discussion) and split his issue.

maybe something is missing .

please keep one.
[Che Cos'è Il Calcolo Distribuito (BOINC)

BOINC ready ! Sabayon+BOINC = BILD ,my Sabayon spin :cyclops: - Ready to crunch for the Science everywhere :)
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby fusion809 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 20:49

I attempted to blacklist with no improvement. Here is what
lspci | grep Broad
returns:

07:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4352 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 03)

(which I hope will suffice for info about my Wifi chip). Here is my /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file. Originally blacklist b43 was commented and blacklist wl was uncommented (until I changed in it in the hope of complying with your last comment).
Brenton Horne
fusion809
Growing Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless