force Sabayon use a particular wireless interface? [Solved]

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Igzilla
Baby Hen

force Sabayon use a particular wireless interface? [Solved]

Post by Igzilla » Sun Aug 30, 2015 18:55

Hi All,

First post and a bit of a newbie. I have recently installed Sabayon and find that the TP-Link WN823N USB wireless dongle I have is very flaky. The connection is fine for about a minute and then drops out. The dongle is working fine in Windows 10, so it must be some sort of issue with the Linux driver, I guess. However, I do have an Edimax PCI wireless card that I know works fine in Linux (but is not supported by Windows 10). I have put the card into the pc, but Sabayon always tries to use the USB dongle in preference to the PCI card. How can I tell Sabayon just to use the PCI card and ignore the USB?

Thanks in advance for any help and please let me know if there is any further information that would help.
Last edited by Igzilla on Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:10, edited 1 time in total.

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: How to force Sabayon to use a particular wireless interf

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Mon Aug 31, 2015 16:06

Are both drivers loaded as modules? Check with the lsmod command. If there is indeed a loaded module for the TP-LINK wireless USB dongle, you could blacklist it. However, according to a post I have found on the Web, you may actually be able to get it to work: see TP-Link TL-WN823N Mini (Wireless-N, USB, 300Mbps).

Igzilla
Baby Hen

Re: How to force Sabayon to use a particular wireless interf

Post by Igzilla » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:09

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, both were listed in lsmod. I did try blacklisting by using the following commands:

echo "blacklist rtl8192cu" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
echo "blacklist rtl8192c_common" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
echo "blacklist rtl_usb" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
echo "blacklist rtlwifi" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

What actually happened was...nothing after the first two commands. After I had blacklisted the third module, it moved down the list in my active wifi connections, so although both were still working, the pci card now had preference, despite the usb dongle still showing up. As the blacklisting didn't seem to have worked quite as planned, but with the desired result, I have simply told the usb dongle to forget all connections, so it now does not interfere with the pci card.