Installed without wired network

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Installed without wired network

Postby dcmarti1 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:20

I have ONLY been using Ubuntu LTS releases for quite some time: a very lucky eternal noob who has rarely had major problems. However, I have an AMD/nVidia machine (maybe 4 years old) on which I "try" distros. As of now, not CentOS nor Debian nor Ubuntu will come up on a LiveCD. Mint, Sabayon, and Peppermint do, however. I installed Sabayon 14.08 GNOME on it but there was NO ethernet cable plugged in. Still, the OS, desktop, and apps seems to have no problem booting, displaying, opening/closing, etc.

The location of the AMD/nVidia machine will not have wired access available. I have found a wireless USB adapter that says it works with MANY new kernels and MANY distros OOTB: even Debian.

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/ ... sb-adapter

(The site is down for maintenance, unfortunately.)

1) Since I installed Sabayon WITHOUT the Net being available, have I screwed myself from the beginning?

2) If the Sabayon kernel meets the specs for OOTB operation, and if I plug the adapter in and boot up, is there a chance Sabayon WOULD even recognize it?

Thank you. I am now in the Big Kids' sandbox and it is pretty scary. ;)
dcmarti1
Baby Hen

Re: Installed without wired network

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Sep 02, 2014 17:28

1. No.

2. Yes. Try it and see.

If it works, all well and good. If it doesn't, post the output of the following commands issued as root user in a Konsole/Terminal window:

Code: Select all
lspci
lsusb
lsmod
dmesg
ifconfig
uname -a
equo search linux-firmware

and tell us the precise hardware you're using (PC, cards and USB adapter). The more information, the better to help you.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Installed without wired network

Postby dcmarti1 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 19:36

Yes, sir. Will do. I plan to order the adapter VERY soon. Thank you for responding, especially with all the CLI. Much appreciated.
dcmarti1
Baby Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless