Issues with BCM43142 WLAN adapter (broadcom-sta)

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Issues with BCM43142 WLAN adapter (broadcom-sta)

Postby ava » Sat Jan 18, 2014 23:13

I installed Sabayon Linux today on a Lenovo B590 with a Broadcom BCM43142 WLAN adapter. The adapter wasn't recognized at first, but after some Googling I found out that the b43 module had to be blacklisted in favour of the closed-source wl module, provided by the broadcom-sta Entropy package.

I installed the broadcom-sta package and added the following lines to my /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf:
Code: Select all
blacklist mac80211
blacklist brcmsmac
blacklist b43
blacklist b43legacy
blacklist ssb
blacklist bcma
blacklist ndiswrapper

While I added the following line at the end of my /etc/conf.d/modules:
Code: Select all

to whitelist the correct module.

The above procedure is also mentioned in some posts on the Sabayon forums, the last of which has been submitted less than a month ago, so I was confident it would work.
I rebooted and the adapter was recognized. I was even able to make it associate to my WPA-encrypted home wireless network, with the oddity of NetworkManager asking me the passphrase something like a dozen times. As I said, the adapter successfully got its IP, but it couldn't access the internet. Also, every now and then it kept asking me the passphrase again, and no, I didn't have my caps lock on :-)
I got it working for something like twenty minutes in a row, but it suddenly stopped working again and kept asking me the passphrase. I didn't do any operation before it started working, it just suddenly came alive.
I also tried to connect to the internet through my smartphone (with an open wifi network), and I managed to ping some public IP addresses, but as I attempted to load any page through a browser it loaded excruciatingly slow, if it did load at all.

At last, I thought the WLAN adapter could be experiencing some hardware issue, but after successfully using it with, *ahem*, another operating system which supports it, I had to admit that the hardware was working nicely.

So I just wanted to ask if anybody knows what am I doing wrong, aside from buying laptops with Broadcom hardware :-)
Baby Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless