polkit and NetworkManager permission denied

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Jago25_98
Young Hen

polkit and NetworkManager permission denied

Post by Jago25_98 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:02

I'm getting permission denied (error 34) trying to use NetworkManager but I updated last week. I can't update now as I have no network connection! But I think it's already up to date anyway. Certainly equo conf update I've tried.

Related to:
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=29849&p=162384&hil ... er#p162384
?

In the meantime I would like to use wicd or at least have it installed ready as a backup. But I can't install it as I have no network connection and I can't remember all the commands to connect to a wifi point on the command line. I'd like to know how to use equo offline, download the packages on Windows and transfer via USB or rebooting (aka sneakernet):
http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... _with_WICD

Output of everything I could find related. As you can see I've tried many of the suggestions in other threads. You can also see that I appear to be running systemd. I remember being informed of this systemd change - is systemd relevent to this?
http://pastebin.com/ucYttbKF

edit:
ah, seems I'm on sysvinit rather than systemd as I thought I was. I think I prefer to stay with sysvinit if we think it's easier to use and a change to systemd would invite more work at this stage, especially since I'm on a wifi only connection right now.

Code: Select all

[email protected] ~ $ eselect sysvinit list
Available init implementations:
  [1]   systemd
  [2]   sysvinit *
[email protected] ~ $ 
Everytime someone helps me I give $5 to Sabayon. Hopefully this will speed up equo bandwidth. If someone has helped you, why not say thanks and donate to speed it up for all :-)

Jago25_98
Young Hen

Re: polkit and NetworkManager permission denied

Post by Jago25_98 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:07

As a work-around I had to:

- plug in Android phone via USB
- turn off data connection on the phone
- connect to the WiFi network
- enable USB tethering

Basically USB doesn't need the permissions so we can use the phone as a WiFI dongle this way.

Now... I can't remember where to read those equo messages as they scroll by... they're not in /var/log/entropy/entropy.log so where are they?
Everytime someone helps me I give $5 to Sabayon. Hopefully this will speed up equo bandwidth. If someone has helped you, why not say thanks and donate to speed it up for all :-)

Halley68
Baby Hen

Re: polkit and NetworkManager permission denied

Post by Halley68 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:15

Thanks for sharing.