New Install. Can't get wireless working.

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

VolvoBirkenstock
Advanced Hen

Re: New Install. Can't get wireless working.

Post by VolvoBirkenstock » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:46

I will give ndiswrapper a try. I have read the man page and it specifically states that it is limited to XP drivers. Is there a straight-forward instruction set for this installation and configuration? Since I am running an amd64 kernel, should the driver be XP 64-bit, or is ndiswrapper limited to XP 32-bit drivers?

Thank you again for your patience.

VolvoBirkenstock
Advanced Hen

Post by VolvoBirkenstock » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:55

Another potential issue is that ndiswrapper talks about driver files and INF files, yet the driver(s) downloaded from Intel are EXE files. Do I need to execute these files on a XP system in order to unpack the driver(s) and INF file(s) from the EXE file, or is the EXE file run on XP to obtain the driver(s) and INF file(s) over the internet?

VolvoBirkenstock
Advanced Hen

Post by VolvoBirkenstock » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:59

If I am going to attempt to use ndiswrapper, does the Linux kernel revision make any difference?

I also need some clue about how to unwrap the driver and INF files from the EXE. I do not have XP loaded on the laptop, but I could load XP 32bit if absolutely necessary, perform the extraction, save off the files and then remove XP. I don't have XP 64bit. I also have XP 32bit on VIrtualBox, but no wireless there. I assume the XP 64bit driver would be preferable for ndiswrapper, but I really do not know.

life-on-mars
Simple Hen

Post by life-on-mars » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:23

VolvoBirkenstock wrote:Another potential issue is that ndiswrapper talks about driver files and INF files, yet the driver(s) downloaded from Intel are EXE files. Do I need to execute these files on a XP system in order to unpack the driver(s) and INF file(s) from the EXE file, or is the EXE file run on XP to obtain the driver(s) and INF file(s) over the internet?
EXE files are often self-extractable ZIP files. Perhaps it's the same with your driver.
VolvoBirkenstock wrote:I will give ndiswrapper a try. I have read the man page and it specifically states that it is limited to XP drivers. Is there a straight-forward instruction set for this installation and configuration? Since I am running an amd64 kernel, should the driver be XP 64-bit, or is ndiswrapper limited to XP 32-bit drivers?
I think they explain that in the ndiswrapper FAQ: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/n ... ?title=FAQ
sɹɐɯ uo əɟıɿ sı əɹəɥʇ -- ⠐⠮ ⠊⠎ ⠇⠊⠋⠑ ⠕⠝ ⠍⠜⠎⠖

VolvoBirkenstock
Advanced Hen

Post by VolvoBirkenstock » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:04

There are two 64-bit XP executables: Wireless_15.8.0_Dx64.exe and Wireless_15.8.0_x64.exe.

I executed "unzip Wireless_15.8.0_Dx64.exe" with the following failed result:

Code: Select all

Archive:  Wireless_15.8.0_Dx64.exe
  End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
  a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
  latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
  the last disk(s) of this archive.
unzip:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of Wireless_15.8.0_Dx64.exe or
        Wireless_15.8.0_Dx64.exe.zip, and cannot find Wireless_15.8.0_Dx64.exe.ZIP, period.
I then executed "unzip Wireless_15.8.0_x64.exe" and obtained the same apparent result.

I then tried "cabextract ./Wireless_15.8.0_Dx64.exe" and obtained the following result:

./Wireless_15.8.0_Dx64.exe: no valid cabinets found
All done, errors in processing 1 file(s)
I also obtained identical results when I executed "cabextract ./Wireless_15.8.0_x64.exe".

I do not know how to use wine, but I read the man page on "wine" and executed "wine ./Wireless_15.8.0_Dx64.exe" with the following result:

err:module:DelayLoadFailureHook failed to delay load shell32.dll.SHGetFolderPathW
wine: Call from 0x7b84b7ca to unimplemented function shell32.dll.SHGetFolderPathW, aborting
wine: Unimplemented function shell32.dll.SHGetFolderPathW called at address 0x7b84b7ca (thread 000b), starting debugger...
err:seh:start_debugger Couldn't start debugger ("winedbg --auto 10 96") (2)
Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another debugger
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78: saw unknown, expected number
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation 0x2c4000 0 0x23fcd0 4
fixme:setupapi:CMP_WaitNoPendingInstallEvents 0
fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
fixme:console:AttachConsole stub ffffffff
fixme:setupapi:CMP_WaitNoPendingInstallEvents 100
fixme:setupapi:pSetupGetGlobalFlags stub
fixme:wintrust:WinVerifyTrust unimplemented for 3
fixme:ntdll:server_ioctl_file Unsupported ioctl 9c040 (device=9 access=3 func=10 method=0)
fixme:setupapi:CM_Locate_DevNodeA 0x239898 (null) 0x00000000: stub
I then ran this again except I substituted "wineconsole" for "wine" with essentially the same result. I also did the same "wine" and "wineconsole" executions with "./Wireless_15.8.0_x64.exe" with essentially identical results.

I could have tried this with 32-bit executables inside 32-bit XP, but the link to the ndiswrapper FAQ which you graciously provided states:
Can I use 32-bit Windows driver in 64-bit mode?
No.
I do not have 64-bit XP, so unless you can offer any insight on what I am doing wrong, it looks like I have run out of luck.

Again, thank you very much for your patience.