New Install. Can't get wireless working.

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: New Install. Can't get wireless working.

Postby VolvoBirkenstock » Sun Aug 04, 2013 0:36

One of the workarounds involves placing "options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1" within file "/etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf", but this file does not exist within Sabayon. I can create this file, but what assurance do I have that this file will even be read?

Instead of performing this workaround, I will look into the 3.5 kernel. I only hope that the 3.5 kernel will support other features in the laptop.
VolvoBirkenstock
Growing Hen

Postby VolvoBirkenstock » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:34

I performed via Rigo the equivalent of
Code: Select all
equo install =sys-kernel/linux-sabayon-3.5-r7
equo install =sys-kernel/sabayon-sources-3.5-r7

I followed this with

eselect bzimage set kernel-genkernel-x86_64-3.5-r7-sabayon
eselect kernel set linux-3.5-r7-sabayon

After backing up /boot/grub/grub.cfg, I then followed this with
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

I then initiated reboot. The system did not automatically boot into 3.5-r7, but instead booted into 3.10. So I rebooted again and this time used grub to select 3.5. The system did boot, but it did not start the display manager. It appeared to be hung and eventually fell over into a prompt. I was given the choice to perform "Ctrl-D" or enter the root password. "Ctrl-D" resulted in a continuation of the hung behavior followed by a repeat of the prompt choice. I entered the root password and was presented with what looked like a safe mode. I noticed that "ifconfig" returned only "lo".

I assume that this implies a basic incompatibility with the operating system configuration downloaded with the recent fresh installation and the 3.5-r7 kernel.

Do I need to perform yet another fresh installation, except this time, do it with another repository, such as Sabayon Frozen 10 or 11?

Again, thank you for your patience and assistance.
VolvoBirkenstock
Growing Hen

Postby life-on-mars » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:11

Many of the .d directories in the /etc tree are actually large config files that were split up to make it easier. In this case, it's the same. You could create a new file. Let's say iwlwifi.conf, or add the option to an existing file, e.g. /etc/modprobe.d/wl.conf (what would make sense).
sɹɐɯ uo əɟıɿ sı əɹəɥʇ -- ⠐⠮ ⠊⠎ ⠇⠊⠋⠑ ⠕⠝ ⠍⠜⠎⠖
life-on-mars
Simple Hen

Postby VolvoBirkenstock » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:23

I also note that /etc/modprobe.d/wl.conf contains a line that states "alias wlan0 wl", and /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf contains a line that states "blacklist wl". I have left these as-is.

I have just modified /etc/modprobe.d/wl.conf to include the additional line "options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1". There was no subsequent change in behavior when I tried to activate the wireless through the NetworkManager. "dmesg | grep iwlwifi" showed "L1 Disabled; Enabling LOS" and "Radio type=0x1-0x2-0x0" whenever I tried to connect wirelessly. Subsequent to reboot, I also saw no difference in performance and "dmesg | grep iwlwifi" shows no substantive change.

Note that I did not comment out "blacklist wl" within /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf.
VolvoBirkenstock
Growing Hen

Postby VolvoBirkenstock » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:27

Also, there is only one LAN/Ethernet port to this laptop, yet NetworkManager believes there are two hardwired "Networking Interfaces" and one "WLAN Interface". This might be the source of the "L1 Disabled" message from dmesg, since the working Networking Interface is "Connected to Wired connection 2".
VolvoBirkenstock
Growing Hen

Postby VolvoBirkenstock » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:42

I commented out "blacklist wl" within /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and observed no difference.
VolvoBirkenstock
Growing Hen

Postby VolvoBirkenstock » Sun Aug 04, 2013 18:31

I have rebuilt the system using Sabayon Frozen 10. That left a 3.5 kernel and a 3.7 kernel. I have removed the 3.7 kernel and am booting the 3.5 kernel. I have performed every manipulation previously listed in this thread with the same failed result. I will post details on this later. I have run out of time for now.
VolvoBirkenstock
Growing Hen

Postby life-on-mars » Sun Aug 04, 2013 18:57

Whenever you install a new kernel, packages that depend on the kernel version (i.e. nvidia or ati drivers) have to be reinstalled (for the right kernel version). So it's normal that your DM doesn't start (it's usually a video driver problem, when that happens).

I wouldn't touch any other module settings. Your wifi module loaded the last time, so I assume it should do so again.

Actually, what you could try is a Sabayon version that comes with an older kernel preshipped (if old versions are still available somewhere). You wouldn't have to reinstall the system, just start it from a LiveCD.
life-on-mars
Simple Hen

Postby VolvoBirkenstock » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:34

I am not a networking engineer; I work at a much more abstract level. The last time I wrote a driver was close to twenty years ago. The last time I built a Linux kernel was around seventeen years ago. I have used both a Sabayon 10 LiveCD/DVD (with the 3.5 kernel) and have also installed Sabayon Frozen 10 and then backed out the 3.7 kernel and reverted to the 3.5 kernel. I have performed research on this topic and determined that the Intel Centrino Wireless-N + WiMAX 6150 is indeed allegedly supported for Linux. I have verified that the exact module revision is indeed supplied in Sabayon. I have read where Ubuntu solved this (or similar) issue with this driver on an Acer laptop by blacklisting the acer-wmi module, and thought for a moment that asus_wmi might be blocking operation, so I blacklisted asus_wmi to no avail; apparently asus_wmi can't be blacklisted, since lsmod showed it still present. I have also tried adding "options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1" to /etc/modprobe.d/wl.conf as part of another reported solution. I have blacklisted and un-blacklisted wl. I have noted that wl.conf contains "alias wlan0 wl". ifconfig returns wlan0, but nothing works; the WLAN interface is perpetually "waiting for authorization".

I obviously have very limited knowledge and am thrashing about in my ignorance, wasting valuable time. As I discover more options to manipulate, the combinations and permutations grow. This looks like a never-ending morass.

I have a solution. If I want wireless connectivity, I will boot into Win7.

Thank you very much for trying, life-on-mars. Linux distributions need to greatly simplify this process. Until then, if I need internet connectivity with Linux, I will stick to my desktops.
VolvoBirkenstock
Growing Hen

Postby life-on-mars » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:10

I had a similar problem with the ath9k driver. At first, it was not working with the 3.x kernels at all. Unless your card is a *classic* 54kbit card with a very stable driver like ath5k, perhaps Sabayon is the wrong distro for you laptop anyway. Sooner or later a kernel upgrade would break your Wifi access, as there will be a day where you have to upgrade your kernel. On non-rolling distro might be much better. Wifi support in Linux has never been perfect, mostly because most manufacturers refuse to develop drivers for Linux and/or don't find it necessary to provide the opensource community with enough information to do so.

Ideal distros only provide "optional" kernel upgrades, and provide security patches to your current kernel as long as possible. But I doubt that anything like that will ever happen with Sabayon. Sabayon is too much bleeding edge for that.

There is, however, another thing you could try: ndiswrapper. That is a kernel module that can load Windows Wifi drivers. Though it might only work with XP drivers.
life-on-mars
Simple Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Networking and Wireless