Weak wireless signal AR9485

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Weak wireless signal AR9485

Postby chrosa » Fri Jul 26, 2013 13:32

Hi all, i'm new to sabayon but have used gentoo for some years ago.
Gotta say i love how smooth every thing works out of the box after installation :D but i'm having some difficulties get my wireless card adapter to work smoothly, like the topic says, the signal strength is so weak that i almost have to sit on top of my router :(

Been reading around on the internet, and this is a known problem with the Atheros AR9485 wireless card. So i figured that i'm possibly using the wrong driver.

I've tried to compile the newest backport driver, but without any luck.
there is a while since i have used linux, so need help here, so anyone got some idea how to fix this ?

Chris
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to work :)
chrosa
Baby Hen

Re: Weak wireless signal AR9485

Postby life-on-mars » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:48

How do you determine the signal strength?
Usually, high signal strength isn't very important anyway. The link speed is more important. I wouldn't bother about signal strength unless I get frequent disconnects (i.e. device is out of range).

Also, if you're referring to the number of "bars" in the wireless icon on your desktop panel, that figure is only meant as a quick reference and doesn't really say much about the quality of your link.

I doubt you have the wrong driver btw. AFAIK, all alternative Atheros drivers are outdated, and if you load the wrong driver by accident, the card won't work at all.
sɹɐɯ uo əɟıɿ sı əɹəɥʇ -- ⠐⠮ ⠊⠎ ⠇⠊⠋⠑ ⠕⠝ ⠍⠜⠎⠖
life-on-mars
Simple Hen

Postby chrosa » Mon Jul 29, 2013 13:28

I think this is a kernel bug, and it looks like this will be solved in version 3.11. I have tried with 3.4.0-sabayon, 3.8.0-sabayon and 3.10.3-gentoo kernel that i have modified to work with ath9k, but without any luck.

does anyone know if there is a work around for this ?

Wifi connection with an Atheros AR9485 card is very unstable (bad quality, and very bad range).
At the beginning connection quality stays where it reasonably should be, but after few seconds it drops to poor values.

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=49201
chrosa
Baby Hen

Postby chrosa » Mon Jul 29, 2013 17:12

Just upgraded the kernel to 3.10.4-gentoo, and looks like the bug is fixed :D
chrosa
Baby Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless