Mounting samba share and Kernel 3.8

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Mounting samba share and Kernel 3.8

Postby tollgate » Mon May 13, 2013 8:21

Until last week I have been running with kernel 3.7, and on boot I mount a samba share with the following line in fstab:
Code: Select all
//192.168.0.243/sabayon-work /home/steve/work cifs username=steve,password=mypassword,auto,rw,user,uid=500 0 0

When I updated to kernel 3.8 the mount would fail with an error 13 permission denied. Reverting to kernel 3.7 all was OK again.

So, is there an error in my fstab code, or do I need to do something to make it work with 3.8, or is it a bug and should I file a report?
tollgate
Growing Hen

Re: Mounting samba share and Kernel 3.8

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri May 17, 2013 17:29

Geez, I hate Samba with a vengance! I don't know the answer to your question, but I notice that SL has CONFIG_CIFS=m in the kernel configuration, so do you need to have the cifs module loaded, perhaps? Is it already loaded when you check with the lsmod command?:

lsmod | grep cifs

I don't know about the order of execution, but you could try adding the cifs module to the list of modules in /etc/conf.d/modules (I'm assuming you're using OpenRC rather than systemd):

modules="cifs vboxdrv vboxnetflt vboxnetadp"

(The above is just an example as I don't know if you have other modules already specified in the list in /etc/conf.d/modules.)
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby tollgate » Sun May 19, 2013 4:31

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, cifs is installed. Yesterday I updated to kernel 3.9 and the problem is still there. Checked again with 3.7 and it's fine. I noticed an update to the 3.9 kernel today so will try again later.

I think it's an authentication problem. When I try to mount via a terminal and leave out the password, I get prompted for it, but it still fails.
tollgate
Growing Hen

Postby TDKyon » Sun May 19, 2013 6:37

I have been using always NitroShare over Samba.
NitroShare website: http://quickmediasolutions.com/apps/14/nitroshare
TDKyon
Young Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless