"Not authorized to control networking"? [Solved]

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

"Not authorized to control networking"? [Solved]

Postby pottzie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 23:51

I've got a fresh install of Sabayon, and just tried to use it wirelessly. I can see my network, but I get some weird pop-up saying: "(32) Not authorized to control networking."

After a moment of asking myself who exactly the Network Manager thinks should have control over my home network, I started looking for someplace to give myself permission to connect to my open, unsecured network. I didn't find anything, and Google or searching the forum didn't show any results. So I'm asking if anyone knows how (and WHY!) I have to set a permission to use Sabayon.

Thanks.
Last edited by pottzie on Thu Feb 14, 2013 22:42, edited 1 time in total.
pottzie
Young Hen

Re: "Not authorized to control networking"?

Postby pottzie » Wed Feb 13, 2013 0:58

Hmm. For some reason, that didn't work. Still get the same message after a reboot, even though bash said that it worked, and that I was added to the dev group.
pottzie
Young Hen

Postby pottzie » Wed Feb 13, 2013 22:54

Since it's been a day since I've gotten any response from this, I guess I'll try and dig up what Gentoo says about wireless, and which programs are responsible for making wireless work. I have checked the "Users/Permissions" form the drop-down menu in Mate, and I am showing a check beside "Connect to wireless and internet networks."

This is an older Presario laptop, with a Broadcom b43 wireless chip that wasn't configured until I did a few updates. I was trying to figure out how to get the Broadcom working, when I noticed that Broadcom was one of the dependencies that showed when I updated the kernel. Now I show my home network, but somehow I haven't got permission to connect, even after running the script that sabayonino gave. I've tried it twice now, in case I miss-typed before, still no wireless, even though my network(s) both show, as well as several others.

Before getting the Broadcom to work, I used a Belkin usb plug-in wireless, and that worked without a problem. I'll try that again and see what happens.
pottzie
Young Hen

Postby pottzie » Thu Feb 14, 2013 22:42

I got it working after reading the Gentoo wireless wiki and installing net-wireless/wpa_supplicant. Works great now.
pottzie
Young Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless