KDE Network Not working after Upgrade [Solved]

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

KDE Network Not working after Upgrade [Solved]

Postby groot2357 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:28

Installed Sabayon 10 KDE on my desktop today. My desktop has a wireless internet connection.
After installation and first reboot, network connection was working fine. However, the update manager
told me I needed to update 255 things, so I updated everything. Rebooted again and no wireless network connection.

I think the actual networking is working fine (can scan and see wireless modems). But I can't make
changes to the password in network settings gui under kde. The "Apply" button is greyed out. I get this message...

Error checking autorization
GDBus.Error.org.freedesktop.Policykit1.Error.Failed:
Action
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.setting.modify.own is not registered

P.S. I'm switching over from Arch linux and am not terribly familiar with Sabayon yet.
groot2357
Baby Hen

Re: KDE Network Not working after Upgrade

Postby linuxfluesterer » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:54

Hallo Newcomer.
Welcome to Sabayon.
Only an idea...
There will be one more update with module DBUS.
Pls. connect your computer with ethernet cable and actualize your repositories (looking for Updates) manually.
If you see then, there will be updates, then open a terminal or console and login as root.
As root you could do an
Code: Select all
equo upgrade

This is the console command to upgrade your system.

If then DBUS is really updated, then do a reboot. I could imagine, that helps.

Good luck,

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Re: KDE Network Not working after Upgrade

Postby groot2357 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:39

Actually, I reinstalled the system. Same as before, networking was working after install. I did an update and after updating 252 packages, I noticed a message in Rigo about confirming new config files. Some of the config files were policykit type files. After confirming all of the config files and rebooting, networking now works.

The first time I did the install and system upgrade, I "didn't" confirm the various config file changes.
Very new to Sabayon.
groot2357
Baby Hen

Re: KDE Network Not working after Upgrade [Solved]

Postby gmport » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:00

Hi,

I am also new to Sabayon and to the forum so please forgive my question.

I seem to have the same problem as groot2357; after installing Sabayon 10 and doing 938 updates, there were 12 messages for me to deal with. There was no indication of what needed to be done with these and whichever of the 4 buttons I clicked nothing seemed to happen. I'm sorry but I can't remember exactly how all the buttons were labelled. After rebooting there was no wireless connection and when I tried to do something about it the error message as in groot2357's original posting popped up.

Could someone please tell me exactly what needs to be done with the messages. After installing and doing 938 updates twice, I don't want to get it wrong again.

This is probably obvious to most people but I'm getting on a bit and the old grey cells are getting rather sparse (you can teach an old dog new tricks... it just takes a little longer!).

Regards gmport
gmport
Baby Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:53

I would really consider you to (re)install a Daily Build or SL 11 from Sabayon Download.
Then you won't have 938 updates and a clear new system with correct config files and 12 messages (except licences).

I really hope, that by the Brexit (poor Britain), TTIP will be finally prevented. But don't get tired to talk to your local politician to open eyes for danger to democracy because of TTIP
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Postby gmport » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:26

Thank you Linuxfluesterer that sounds good.

For future reference, what is the correct course of action for these config files? Or maybe that depends on the specific file?

regards gmport
gmport
Baby Hen

Postby abs » Mon Feb 18, 2013 13:01

After update or upgrade we must do equo conf update and save changes on config files. So, you dont need to install Sabayon again.

linuxfluesterer: about daily ISOS, they come with sabayonlinux.org as default repo. Itś recomended to use sabayon-weely, fstable repo (be carefull)
abs
Growing Hen

Postby gmport » Mon Feb 18, 2013 14:23

Thank you for that.

Sabayon is a little more challenging than Ubuntu but that's what I wanted.

Regards gmport
gmport
Baby Hen

Postby linuxfluesterer » Mon Feb 18, 2013 17:22

I do use Daily Iso images only in case of new install. I prefer this to install the last (stable) official version to prevent lots of updates. (938?? from SL X to SL 11, huh). I have very bad experiences with upgrading Kubuntu before.
I know, there may be some (or many?) problems concerning to KDE settings.
But as all I read in this forum, some users don't update their conf and settings files requested to do by Rigo.
Then there will be unexpected problems.
At this moment, SL 11 as a new distri is not really interesting for me, no benefit.
KDE is still 4.9.5 and Kernel 3.8 hasn't yet been released (I need it for my Bluetooth id from vendor Foxconn /HonHai).
And I read, that my configuration with Kernel 3.7.4 and KDE 4.9.5 is (almost) up to date.
Anyway, I tried USB-memory stick live SL 11 only to check it without install. So far, it works fine for me,
WLan ok, Sound ok, Graphics ok. I suggest, update procedure in these days is a little tricky.
The only still existing problem is Dolphin's connection with Nepomuk in case of unmounting my 1TByte_USB3 ext. disk.
This still is not possible and produces error messages (device busy - by Nepomuk!).

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless