Computer freeze when browsing nfs mounted folders [Solved]

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

paddlaren
Baby Hen

Computer freeze when browsing nfs mounted folders [Solved]

Post by paddlaren » Wed Nov 02, 2011 20:01

Hi!

After updating my system the day before yesterday it has begun freezing when I browse files on filesystem mounted using autofs and nfs. This worked perfectly well until my upgrade.

I can navigate the folders on the automounted file system but when I click a file (I have double click enabled) the computer will freeze. I can open local files under /etc without hazzle. Our normal use case is to fire up the computer, login, navigate to a film and start watching with the TV connected.

I am using Xfce for a window manager and wicd for network management. Currently I have a wired connection and a fixed IP address. When the system freezes also remotely logins will freeze.

I cannot find anything relevant in messages.

Help anyone!

BR
Erik
Last edited by paddlaren on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:40, edited 1 time in total.

paddlaren
Baby Hen

Re: Computer freeze when browsing nfs mounted folders

Post by paddlaren » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:39

When I managed to slow down the freeze from instant to fast I got the hint in the messages log; the kernel module for the ethernet card. I have a RT8168 and the kernel module used where R8169 which is known to fail on an R8168-card.

After I downloaded correct module (it is not in the kernel tree but can be fetched from http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow ... wn=false#2 everything seems to work properly.

I will probably never understand why I suddenly got into this trouble as I have been using the ethernet connection for a while.

BR
Erik