DHCP not working on KDE

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

adonisslanic
Baby Hen

DHCP not working on KDE

Post by adonisslanic » Sat Sep 24, 2011 21:36

I have Sabayon 6 KDE amd64.
My problem is really strange for me...
I have a dhcp connection, and in other linux distributions, it works well, heck, it works well even on the GNOME flavoured sabayon O_o. But in KDE... really failish. First things first, the default networkmanager that comes with KDE it doesn't do anything when it's set on DHCP connection. Then, if i try dhclient in the console, it says:
"No DHCPOFFERS received."
dhcpcd is the same thing(different output, but same "no internet" result)

As an idea, i would install nm-applet from GNOME, but it had to many dependencies to install... but if someone has an idea of why the heck I have this strange problem... i'm open to ideas.

joeoden
Old Dear Hen
Location: Back in the 'swamp land' Moe, Australia 38°10′20″S 146°16′04″E

Re: DHCP not working[KDE]

Post by joeoden » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:45

Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, a protocol for assigning dynamic IP addresses to devices on a network
I can not recall having any problems with the DHCP protocol allocating addresses with any of the computers that I have KDE installed, sometimes there is a problem with KDE network manager, I then use a different network manager

To be able to help you we need to know the hardware you are using to connect with, are you using wired, wireless, mobile broadband or something else and are you using a router
Desktop ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus, AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 5200, 4 Gb RAM, GeForce 9500 1GB
Notebook HP CQ61-311AX, AMD CPU M320, 4 Gb RAM, Radeon HD 4300 512 MB
Wireless AR9285, Audio ATI SBx00 (IDT 92hd75B2x5)
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!

adonisslanic
Baby Hen

Post by adonisslanic » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:05

I am using wired connection from a router, in any other linux distro and windows distro, the DHCP connection works...
lspci:
Ethernet Controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express GIgabit Ethernet controller( rev 06)

And btw, can someone reccomend me other network manager in KDE? Or to guide me how to install nm-applet from gnome more easy? :3

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:04

I'm using KDE 4.7.1 and have no problems with DHCP (and didn't in previous versions of KDE either), so something else must be going on in your case.

NetworkManager (net-misc/networkmanager) is the network manager in both GNOME and KDE. nm-applet (gnome-extra/nm-applet) is the front-end to NetworkManager in GNOME; KNetworkManager (kde-misc/knetworkmanager) is the front-end to NetworkManager in KDE. As both DEs are using the same network manager, this is another reason why I think something else is going on in your case.

1. When you say networking works in GNOME but not KDE, are you comparing like with like, i.e. are both installations fully upgraded to all the latest versions of packages, and did you upgrade the configuration files in both cases? I.e., did you do the following for both installations?:

Code: Select all

equo update
equo upgrade
equo conf update
All three of those commands are essential when one upgrades ('rolls').

2. Have you checked that the correct libraries are installed and that dependencies are all set up correctly?:

equo libtest
equo deptest
3. After you have done all the above (1 and 2), if you are still experiencing the problem then please post the output of the follow commands, issued as root user in a Konsole window:

lspci
lsmod
dmesg
ifconfig
Please use the Code button when you post the output.

adonisslanic
Baby Hen

Post by adonisslanic » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:20

Ok, wtf, if i don't have dhcp, how the hell i am supposed to update the packages O_o srsly, nvm, going to arch linux

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:25

By chrooting using the LiveDVD: HOWTO: chroot from a LiveCD.

raman
Advanced Hen

Post by raman » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:44

Fitz, DHCP is working perfectly without problems right from the box. I never have problem with DHCP on about 5-6 machines. So the problem is:
1. Our friend take new snapshot and this snapshot have some problems. Better to install original Sabayon version 6 and take updates.
2. Our friend install original Sab 6 version, buit have some strange issues, maybe some problems with installation, sometimes writing files to hdd are not correctly. It's happens, it's only computer.
3. Our friend says, that in Gnome everything is working properly, so the problem is not with hardware, and the problem is not with network-manager.

In my opinion this is not problem with KDE, network manager or Sabayon, but some strange issues.

Try to download Sab_KDE again, start live Sab session and look if connection is ok. If is OK, install Sabayon again.