DNS Resolving/ Network related Problem [Solved]

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: [Urgent] DNS Resolving/ Network related Problem

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 23:24

buywithcredit, have a look at the solutions in Re: eth0 not working, forcedeth?. Option 1 should work fine, but if you want to try Option 2 instead then see the command in Re: ipv6 disable?. I've no idea why you are experiencing this, though. It just never happens to me, and I use public and private networks around the World on a regular basis.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby buywithcredit » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:23

Thanks for the response. Funny thing is when I am at my university, I don't have these name resolution issues. So, there must be something funky with handling name resolution in my gateway.
buywithcredit
Baby Hen

Postby chasha420 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 17:12

Sorry for grave digging old post but I wanted to let you guys know that this issue has been resolved.

At that time I was kind of inexperienced so I had no idea that I could add various nameservers to resolve my dns lookup issues.

If you guys look at the second post in this thread by Genfool...he actually suggested the solution to my problem...but the thing was when I put in google's nameservers on "/etc/resolv.conf" it actually got over written every time I connected to the network so I thought his solution didn't work. One way to get around that problem manually, that is if you can't set the nameservers using the GUI, is to use this solution suggested by Joost: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=26845

Currently I use open-dns nameservers...and they seem to be quite fast & customisable if you register as a user there...you have the option to configure various other stuff like anti-phishing, etc.

Anyway, I'm forever grateful to the Sabayon community for helping me out everytime...I can never imagine life without Sabayon...I wish to contribute some how & give back to the community. Let me know what I can do to help.

Thanks.
chasha420
Technological Hen

Previous

Return to Networking and Wireless