ipv6 disable? [Solved]

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

ipv6 disable? [Solved]

Postby Duskao » Mon Aug 09, 2010 19:37

I'm trying to figure out how to disable ipv6 with sabayon. Last I heard it's in the kernel now and I have noticed vast difference with firefox and disabling ipv6 within about:config. So I have been looking all over the place on sabayon and gentoo of how to disable it, but I have come up nearly empty handed. I tried blacklisting it. Didn't do anything. I'm also new to sabayon and gentoo so please be gentle :D.

Duskao
Duskao
Young Hen

Re: ipv6 disable?

Postby Stupot » Mon Aug 09, 2010 21:00

Where else do you need to disable IPv6 besides firefox?

Not all applications work the same. Don't get me wrong, you can try and look into this issue and make changes to your hearts desire. It is linux after all. But it doesn't sound like you're having any issues or have any reasoning for you want to disable IPv6 system wide, other than it made a difference for Firefox.

I can't recommend removing IPv6 support from the kernel. I would avoid recompiling the kernel at all until you are much more familiar with Sabayon and Gentoo.

I know I didn't give you the answer you were looking for, perhaps somebody will. But in the meantime, do a little more research on the subject and perhaps you'll decide this isn't really what you wanted to do anyway.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby Duskao » Mon Aug 09, 2010 22:13

Well my reasoning is because of updating through the repos and pretty much anything that has to do with then internet. Between every program download while updating the system there is about a 15 to 20 second pause before it downloads each package. This was a very similar issue with opensuse and even ubuntu back in 9.10 (haven't used it in a while) among others. By disabling ipv6 it allowed for nearly instantaneous downloading with the various package managers. I'm sure of course it could be the repo, but surely it isn't a bad thing to try. I'm amazed there doesn't seem to be a simple way to disable ipv6 here. Perhaps once I'm more familiar with gentoo I will work out a way. In ubuntu you can blacklist it. In opensuse you can disable it either through YAST (doesn't work with 11.2 or 11.3 though) so you have to work around and disable ipv6 through the /boot/grub/menu.lst.
I hope I'm not coming off as rude, I'm purely just trying to get to the bottom of this.
Oh, and I'm not talking about the downloading speed. It's connecting to the repo to get the requested download I believe.
Duskao
Young Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:02

did you try?
http://iamkafai.wordpress.com/2009/08/0 ... in-gentoo/

Like the 3rd hit on google
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby joost » Tue Aug 10, 2010 13:45

After reading this I noticed I also have slowness in DNS resolving.

If you look in /etc/resolv.conf:

Code: Select all
# Generated by NetworkManager
domain brameco.local
search brameco.local
# nameserver 192.9.206.11
nameserver 217.21.244.66
nameserver 217.21.244.7

I disabled the line nameserver 192.9.206.11 and things go smooth again.

edit: After a tiny digg I found out it selected the windows server in this Network todo the DNS work instead off using the ISP DNS servers directly. No this doesn't answer your ipv6 question but it significantly speed up my connections.
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby Duskao » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:19

Yeah, that seemed to do it quite well. With this fix, doesn't it reset it each time you reboot the computer though? I remember using something like this in Ubuntu back in the 9.04 days. I'll try to check it out and see. Please confirm or deny.
BTW, this community is really good. You guys make a fantastic distro and I'm not sure why, perhaps it's cause it's built on Gentoo, but things run better and faster. Even wine gaming. I'm truly amazed. Keep up the exceptional work.
Duskao
Young Hen

Postby joost » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:40

The best option I can think off is put in a script that is run on new connection.

NetworkManager executes hooks in /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/
( We also put a tiny script in there making NFS mounts available whenever NM connects. )

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=45394
Comment #13 is excactly what I mean.
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby Duskao » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:42

Yeah, after a reboot, I had to change the resolv.conf again.
Duskao
Young Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:51

If you don't want resolv.conf to be changed then just write-protect it:

Code: Select all
chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Duskao » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:56

Thanks