Connect to the internet *any way possbile* [Solved]

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Connect to the internet *any way possbile* [Solved]

Postby Darksurf » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:39

Dude... for real? You can setup your modem to do all the user/pass stuff for your ADSL setup then set it to hand out IP Addresses via DHCP. If this isn't possible, buy a simple router and set it up to use your username/password for the DSL setup. There is no reason you should *HAVE* to use the computer to authenticate for your ADSL setup. I never do that, its a pain and a waste. I have 4 machines in my house and I sell them and build new ones all the time.

I'd hate to have to re-setup my ADSL connection over and over. Pending on what type of modem your have common usernames and passwords could be

*blank/*blank
admin/admin
root/highspeed
admin/*blank

just go to whatismyip.com then take your IP address and insert it into your browser address bar and your should be at the login page for your modem.

If you already use a router login to your router using your gateway ip address your machine has. you can find your gateway using the command "netstat -nr" in a terminal. They are usually

When you get there complete the WAN setup. on My Belkin N+ its under "Internet WAN" and the setup option your looking for is "Connection type" and your are possibly using PPPoE .

Just go from there dude. good luck :mrgreen:
~ Y </0 5+Up1</ P30p[Ez +Ry 2 R34</ D1s? ~
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby norver » Thu Aug 05, 2010 20:05

I know how you feel Linux Sabayon 5.3 is difficult. I have gone back to 4.2 much easier. When I use my Computer I want to use it not to have to act ask a Rocket Scientist.
I shall remain with 4.2
norver
Baby Hen

Postby Darksurf » Thu Aug 05, 2010 20:26

5.3 isn't bad dude. ;)

KDE has changed, nothing much else. I suggest that you upgrade. Otherwise you will be left in the dust. Linux grows very quickly, and it doesn't take long before your are extremely obsolete and are limited in what you can do as compared to the newer software with upgrades.
~ Y </0 5+Up1</ P30p[Ez +Ry 2 R34</ D1s? ~
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Previous

Return to Networking and Wireless