NetworkManager not updated? [Solved]

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

NetworkManager not updated? [Solved]

Postby judepereira » Fri Jun 25, 2010 18:30

Hello,
when I used the latest release of fedora and ubuntu, i noticed that the networkmanager showed my signal strength. I headed over to the netowrkmanager page, http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/ and the latest one, 0.8 does it all. So no I'm sort of confused, why doesn't sabayon have the latest in the repos?

Code: Select all
equo search networkmanager shows one entry as this:
>>      @@ Package: net-misc/networkmanager-0.7.2-r1 branch: 5, [repo_sabayonlinux.org]
>>          Available:      version: 0.7.2-r1 ~ tag: NoTag ~ revision: 0
>>          Installed:      version: 0.7.2-r1 ~ tag: NoTag ~ revision: 0
>>          Slot:           0
>>          Homepage:       http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/ 
>>          Description:    Network configuration and management 
>>                          in an easy way. Desktop environment 
>>                          independent. 
>>          License:        GPL-2

Now that, is a really old version! And also, how come no updates are being added to the repos? My fedora box had atleast one update every week or so, its been quite sometime since i have this sabayon box installed, and equo update followed by equo upgrade say that no updates are available! Is sabayon being stopped or something like that?
judepereira
Baby Hen

Re: NetworkManager not updated?

Postby sabayonino » Fri Jun 25, 2010 20:58

you can find network manager updated in portage

net-misc/networkmanager
Available versions: 0.6.6 (~)0.7.1-r3 0.7.1-r6 (~)0.7.1_p20090824 0.7.2 (~)0.8 (~)0.8-r1

use portage to install it and good luck :roll:
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Jun 25, 2010 20:59

Hardly old:

# eix -I net-misc/networkmanager
[I] net-misc/networkmanager
     Available versions:  0.6.6 (~)0.7.1-r3 0.7.1-r6 (~)0.7.1_p20090824 0.7.2 0.7.2-r1[1] (~)0.8 (~)0.8-r1 (~)0.8-r1[1] **0.8.0_pre20091105[1] {avahi bluetooth connection-sharing crypt debug dhclient dhcpcd doc gnome gnutls nss resolvconf}                                                                                                                             
     Installed versions:  0.8-r1[1](14:20:05 22/06/10)(avahi bluetooth dhclient gnutls nss -connection-sharing -dhcpcd -doc -resolvconf)
     Homepage:            http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/
     Description:         Network configuration and management in an easy way. Desktop environment independent.

[I] net-misc/networkmanager-vpnc
     Available versions:  (~)0.6.4_p20070621 (~)0.7.1 (~)0.7.2 [M](~)0.7.999!t (~)0.8!t {crypt debug doc gnome}
     Installed versions:  0.8!t(14:20:27 22/06/10)(-gnome)
     Homepage:            http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/
     Description:         NetworkManager VPNC plugin

[1] "sabayon" /var/lib/layman/sabayon

Found 2 matches.

The latest version in the Sabayon Portage overlay is 0.8-r1 (which works fine) and will no doubt be added to the Entropy repository in due course.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby judepereira » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:39

Alright, but if I wanted to install stuff via portage, I would have just started doing a stage3 gentoo install. The only reason I came to sabayon was because it has a binary package manager, and it is based off my favorite distribution, Gentoo.

So now, if I install stuff via portage, wouldn't it be a problem to both package managers? Yes I know that entropy is 100% compatible with everything that emerge does. Is there this possibility of my system breaking all hell loose?
judepereira
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:38

No, there isn't. If you simply can't wait until joost builds NetworkManager 0.8-r1 or -r2 or whatever and puts it in the Entropy repository, which he no doubt will, then merge it using Portage and then do the following afterwards to tell Entropy what you did via Portage:

equo database spmsync

For further details, see the articles in the SL Wiki on mixing Entropy and Portage.

BTW, the GUI front-end of NetworkManager is nm-applet for GNOME and KNetworkManager for KDE, so you should check which version you have installed of the one applicable in your case.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby DanySK » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:30

Moreover, if run into problems you can always do
equo install networkmanager

to roll back to the official repo version.
DanySK
Technological Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Jul 03, 2010 20:38

I see version 0.8-r1 is in the Entropy repository now, so I'll mark this thread as solved. As with all other packages, newer versions will appear in the repository as and when they are built and uploaded to it.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless