File Sharing [Solved]

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

File Sharing [Solved]

Postby shoelesshunter78 » Fri May 21, 2010 18:56

I just installed Sabayon 5.2 KDE on an intel Macbook. I was using Kubuntu on the same machine with no problems networking. However, my Sabayon machine now appears in the shared column of my iMac, but I can not transfer files over ftp. The Sabayon machine's files are not accessible from the iMac, and the iMac is not recognized by Sabayon.

Is there something simple I am overlooking? I am new to Linux, but learning quickly. I just need a point to the right direction to fix this. I need to sync the files on the Macbook (running Sabayon) with other machines else it is useless to me.
Last edited by shoelesshunter78 on Tue Jun 01, 2010 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
shoelesshunter78
Baby Hen

Re: File Sharing

Postby Thev00d00 » Mon May 24, 2010 12:04

What method are you using the share the files? Samba? NFS? SSHFS?
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Re: File Sharing [Solved]

Postby shoelesshunter78 » Mon May 24, 2010 14:49

When I was using OSX on the machines, I merely enabled FTP sharing and all machines played nicely.

I have FTP enabled on the main (OSX) machine, but the Macbook running Saybayon doesn't seem to see it in network palces. Likewise, I enabled screen sharing in the SabayonBook with a program (I don't have the name in front of me). Sabayon's machine showed up on the iMac's sharing pane in OSX, but any form of login in to see files failed. "netboot" and "homes" were the volumes mounted in OSX's desktop when connecting to Sabayon; "netboot" yielded nothing when opened, and "homes" was said not to exist. No true screen sharing nor remote management ever was established. Though at this point, simple FTP would suffice.

I am sorry, I should have more details in front of me before responding. I don't know how much any of this helps. Mainly I just want to exchange simple documents across Sabayon and OSX (10.6). Only two machines and both on the same LAN.
Last edited by shoelesshunter78 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:39, edited 1 time in total.
shoelesshunter78
Baby Hen

Re: File Sharing [Solved]

Postby shoelesshunter78 » Sun May 30, 2010 13:12

Enabling zerconf / avahi at runtime made all network services discoverable. Love my Sabayon!
shoelesshunter78
Baby Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless