Sabayon is "unable to get IP address" with Wicd

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon is "unable to get IP address" with Wicd

Postby lions » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:52

When I try to connect to the internet wirelessly with Sabayon 5.0, a box that says "Connection Failed: Unable to Get IP Address". Would anyone know how to fix this problem? I am 100% sure I'm typing in the correct authentication key (I have WPA2 encryption), so I know that's not the problem. I'm using 'wext' for my 'WPA Supplicant' driver, if that means anything. The only thing I have selected under the properties of my network is 'Use Encryption' and the in the dropdown menu I have 'WPA 1/2 (Passphrase)' selected. As far as I know, I don't have a static IP setting with my router, so that may be the problem.

Also, I have tried installing the correct driver with 'ndiswrapper', but I have no idea if I'm doing it correctly, so if that's the problem, a step-by-step guide would be reallyy helpful.

This has been really frustrating, because although I have done a little with linux, I'm generally a newbie when it comes to these sort of things. Any help or advice would be really great, and I would really appreciate it!

specs:
laptop: dell inspiron 5100
wireless card: linksys wireless g
pci network controller: broadcom corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller
lions
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon is "unable to get IP address" with Wicd

Postby throdon » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:08

I take it you are a new person to this distro. this problem has been answered in multiple posts. if you took some time and searched you would find these.http://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=19801andhttp://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=19809&p=112603&hilit=wicd#p112603 seems like this is a KDE problem hope this helps
Troll hunter with an overzealous nature
throdon
Advanced Hen

Postby lions » Mon Mar 01, 2010 18:30

throdon wrote:I take it you are a new person to this distro. this problem has been answered in multiple posts. if you took some time and searched you would find these.http://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=19801andhttp://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=19809&p=112603&hilit=wicd#p112603 seems like this is a KDE problem hope this helps

I actually did search the web for the answers to this problem myself, and came up with nothing that would help me. I didn't simply post this topic for an easy-out, this was basically my last resort.

I guess I failed to mention that I'm running a GNOME environment, so I don't think it can be anything KDE related. I actually saw the links you gave me when I was looking for the answer, but yeah, I'm not sure that I can use any of that. But, I appreciate the help.

Any other advice?
lions
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Mar 01, 2010 20:37

If your wired Ethernet networking is working, try uninstalling Wicd, install NetworkManager and nm-applet (they're both GNOME packages) and try connecting wirelessly with those.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Darksurf » Mon Mar 15, 2010 0:15

You may also want to check your logs by typing "dmesg" in a terminal. If you have a broadcom card, I've noticed a few random issues with broadcom and atheros cards at this time.
~ Y </0 5+Up1</ P30p[Ez +Ry 2 R34</ D1s? ~
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby deneb_ja » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:37

Dear all,
forgive me but I am quite new with Linux and Sabayon.

I have a similar problem with my Gnome Sabayon 5.1-r1

Backgrounds:

I managed to have a triple boot with windows 7 - 64 bit, KDE OpenSuse 11.2 - 64 bit, and Gnome Sabayon 5.1.

All managed by the Grub from OpenSuse that calls Sabayon in a way similar to the WIndows one [rootnoverify & chainloader]. Everything worked nicely till I started to upgrade Sabayon [not everything, only the security patches and a few applets].

Issue:
From that moment, I can't connect to any wireless, anywhere [and I have this annoying 'default keyring password' req :D uest: can be disabled? but this is not the real issue anyway].

I had wicd 1.7.0, whose icon were added to the Network Manager one in the toolbar. I uninstalled and re-installed, but still no ways. It keeps prompting for the psw but it does not connect.

Following several posts on this issue (included the KDE ones) I removed wicd 1.7.0 and than reinstalled the network manager with the nm applet, but still no way to have it to worrk.

Any suggestion is more than welcome :D

deneb_ja
deneb_ja
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:04

OK, this is a long shot, but perhaps it might help you.

Although I have SL KDE edition installed to my HDD, I used UNetbootin to install SL 5.1 GNOME edition onto a USB pen drive to try it out. When I boot SL 5.1 GNOME from the pen drive, networking does not work until I lower the MTU from 1500 to 1492 using the command:

Code: Select all
ifconfig eth0 mtu 1492

Now, wired and wireless networking are different so I don't know if this is relevant in your case, but you could try it to see what happens. I would guess your wireless interface is wlan0 not eth0, but you can find out by entering the ifconfig command without any parameters:

ifconfig

Assuming it is wlan0, you would then type:

ifconfig wlan0 mtu 1492
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby deneb_ja » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:23

Thanks Fitz,
but even lowering the MTU it doesn't work [in any case till the moment I installed wicd 1.7.0 it was working nicely at MTU 1500]

I still think the problem was trigger by wicd and now, even without wicd, some kind of corruption at same level persist.

It might be useful to clear completely the network manager installation, and start from scratch again.

I will give a try and let know.

thanks a lot
den
deneb_ja
Baby Hen

Postby deneb_ja » Wed Mar 17, 2010 18:08

There is an update :)

After uninstalled wicd and network manager (including the nm applet) I removed phisically everything that I found on the system regarding these items and I reboot.

Than I installed again Network manager and the nm applet (trhough wired LAN). Than I finally manage to have my wireless to work,and at MTU 1500. I rebooted many times, used the other distros of the multiboot, than tried again Sabayon and the wireless was still working.

Than I had the nice idea to try to get rid of the keyring (it annoys me), but I was unable to mange it from the Keyring manager simply because I could not find it (not under application, not anywhere else). So I uninstalled :D

When I reboot, I found myself without gdm, with the basic xdm (and of course no wireless). Following some posts I found I managed to have the wired lan to work (through eth0), so using equo from the terminal, I installed gdm and I reboot.

At least now I have gdm, but the toolbar is missing and now I do not know where to go and what to do [for toolbar I mean where you have the varies Gnome Menus, Applications, etc...].

Useless to say I should not play with what I do not know, but I am learning something.

Ideas?

Thanks a lot
Den
deneb_ja
Baby Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless