How do I install the latest Compat-Wireless Driver?

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

How do I install the latest Compat-Wireless Driver?

Postby TheWhiteDemon » Mon Feb 15, 2010 20:49

My Atheros card is one that is very problematic with various versions of the kernel and certain distrobutions. With Ubuntu I have been able to grab the latest compat-wireless build from their site and install it just fine using the following commands:

./scripts/driver-select ath9k
make
sudo make install
sudo make unload
sudo modprobe ath9k

However, this does not work in Sabayon. When I try to make the driver I get an error about a directory not existing. I think the same issue is outlined in this post but I don't speak the language:

http://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=19377&p=110311&hilit=compat#p110311

Bottom line, does anyone know how to build the compat-wireless drivers in Sabayon so that I can have my wireless work? Thanks.
TheWhiteDemon
Baby Hen

Re: How do I install the latest Compat-Wireless Driver?

Postby micia » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:05

Hi!

I speak that language, but that is a problem related to v4l driver :)
I don't know how to build the compat-wireless drivers, however I assume that you will need the kernel sources package to do such a thing, you can install it running as root:
Code: Select all
equo install --ask linux-sabayon-sources

before doing it can you post the model of your card? Maybe there is a known and safe way to get it working without messing with manual installs.
For example you could post the output of (as root):
Code: Select all
lspci
micia
Sagely Hen

Re: How do I install the latest Compat-Wireless Driver?

Postby TheWhiteDemon » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:15

This is my network card:

08:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

This card has known issues with Linux Kernel 2.6.31 and later. In ubuntu I was able to build the compat driver and fix my issues. I think you are correct in that I need the sources package, I just wasn't sure of the command in Sabayon. Thanks, I will try it.
TheWhiteDemon
Baby Hen

Return to Networking and Wireless